Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA AR-9 OAL?

I'm trying to build a load up for new PSA AR-9 and I can't get a good plunk test spin until I get down to 1.100 with MG 124 CMGs. I've read a few others that have to go this short, but more often I hear guys running factory ammo with no problems.  Anybody finding the same thing? Thanks

I also run PSA AR9 carbines.  When i first got mine I tried some 115 gr WWB.  They passed the plunk test but were way to harsh for competition.  I also had some 147 gr subsonic ammo that would not pass the plunk test so I never shot it in my guns.

Now I only run reloads.  My match load is 147 gr RN plated at 1.085" and practice load of 125 gr RN coated bullets at 1.100".  Both pass the plunk test at run reliabiliy.

Bill

It all depends on the shape of the bullet.  My 9mm go to bullet for years was the MG 124 gr JHP.   To shoot that in a PSA barrel required I load it less that 1.050". 

I was deifinitely uncomfortable loading that short.  So far I've shot over 2000 rds of the 1.085" plated bullet loads without problems.  I;ve only shot about 500 of the 1.100" coated bullets so far but it looks promising.

Bill

I have the same issue with my Kaw Valley barrel and have to load 125gr blue bullets at 1.100 to plunk.

My match loads are 124gr Precision Delta fmj at 1.125 with 3gr of E3 at 135 pf

Both of these loads run great and are very accurate.

I got a chance to shoot the gun today and it ran everything I put through it. From 1.100 to 1.145 without any problems. I'll probably keep them on the short side just to be safe. Thanks for your replies.

2 minutes ago, jitter said:

I got a chance to shoot the gun today and it ran everything I put through it. From 1.100 to 1.145 without any problems. I'll probably keep them on the short side just to be safe. Thanks for your replies.

One of the first signs folks notice when the OAL is too long is hard ejection of iive rounds.  Sometimes they stick so bad that it will actually pull the bullet out of the case.

Not saying it will happen with your loads but it is something to watch for especially if you are loading long in  a questionable barrel.

Bill

Had the same short OAL problem with my first PSA upper. It would not chamber some factory 124 RN and in one case I had an out of battery detonation..

I  sent it back to PSA for exchange and now easily seats DP 124g JHP @ 1.085.

Edited by fedupflyer
9 hours ago, fedupflyer said:

Had the same short OAL problem with my first PSA upper. It would not chamber some factory 124 RN and in one case I had an out of battery detonation..

I  sent it back to PSA for exchange and now easily seats DP 124g JHP @ 1.085.

I'm running cmj's which are probably a little longer, so I guess we are pretty close on oal.

I'm loading 124 gr. MG CMJ's at 1.10 OAL with 4.3 gr. CFE Pistol to make 'em go.  I've only had one failure to extract  in over 4K rounds.  I suspect that one was just a bad piece of brass.

I'm more than happy with my PSA 9mm PCC with the Glock billet lower.  I wrote an in-depth review for the PSA site of both the upper and lower citing the shallow throat and OAL limit of 1.10 for my PCC.  They never published either for some reason.                

Edited by XD Niner
12 minutes ago, XD Niner said:

I'm loading 124 gr. MG CMJ's at 1.10 OAL with 4.3 gr. CFE Pistol to make 'em go.  I've only had one failure to extract  in over 4K rounds.  I suspect that one was just a bad piece of brass.

I'm more than happy with my PSA 9mm PCC with the Glock billet lower.  I wrote an in-depth review for the PSA site of both the upper and lower citing the shallow throat and OAL limit of 1.10 for my PCC.  They never published either for some reason.                

I might fool around with different bullet shapes when I get a chance, but for now I'll keep running the mg's. If it ain't broke...