Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thick brass not chamber checking with Lyman dies

Scottie

I am curious to see if anyone else is having problems with certain head stamps not clambering. I just setup Lyman 4 piece dies and am using once fired range brass. I've found that certain head stamps won't chamber and I can tell which ones won't go in advance because there is increased resistance when they go through the size die. The expander doesn't work quite as well on them either and the brass is thicker. Is this common and if so, will a Lee Factory crimp die solve the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My alpha wolf barrel is just too tight. I chamber check every round and my lee factory crimp has definitely helped. But I am finding that the Alpha wolf might need to be reamed out. I cant load past 1.110 without the head of the bullet catching in the barrel. These rounds fit perfectly in my storm lake comp barrel bit the same rounds in the Alpha wolf will not chamber.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Measure the length and thickness of the offenders and compare that with the good-to-go brass. Actually, check at least length with all the headstamps you use. And check the variation of bullet length. It really doesn't take much time and trouble shooting is waaaaay easier when you have that data.

Are you using a progressive loader with your Lyman dies?

3 hours ago, EddieCrispo said:

My alpha wolf barrel is just too tight. I chamber check every round and my lee factory crimp has definitely helped. But I am finding that the Alpha wolf might need to be reamed out. I cant load past 1.110 without the head of the bullet catching in the barrel. These rounds fit perfectly in my storm lake comp barrel bit the same rounds in the Alpha wolf will not chamber.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Thanks, it's good to hear from another person with the same issue.  My issues were mainly with CBC headstamp brass, but there were a handful of others that didn't chamber.  I load 45 and never have an issue, so I was pretty surprised to have so many failures.  I wonder if there is a DIY method for opening chambers.

2 hours ago, lgh said:

Measure the length and thickness of the offenders and compare that with the good-to-go brass. Actually, check at least length with all the headstamps you use. And check the variation of bullet length. It really doesn't take much time and trouble shooting is waaaaay easier when you have that data.

Are you using a progressive loader with your Lyman dies?

I seem to have a good idea which headstamps won't work for me, so I'll have to sort them until I resolve the issue.  I'm using Lyman dies on a Lock n Load progressive.

10 hours ago, Scottie said:

My issues were mainly with CBC headstamp brass,

There was a recent thread on CBC headstamp brass.  A lot of people have problems with it. We just toss it.

There was a recent thread on CBC headstamp brass.  A lot of people have problems with it. We just toss it.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know what to do about it and I really don't want to use a Lee factory crimp with black bullets because I don't want to crush the projectiles.

14 hours ago, Scottie said:

I load 45 and never have an issue

Yeah, I never had a problem with 45. Except for some real junk brass like Amerc, I stopped separating 45 headstamps years ago. It seems to matter (for me anyway) with 9. I load 9 and 45 on a 650.

On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 at 7:50 AM, lgh said:

Heck toss it my way.

I run cbc brass on my 550 with dillon dies. I fire them thru M&Ps, SIGs and Rugers with no problems.

I will sort brass so I can control oal, but I think the Lyman size die is too loose for my AlphWolf barrel. I also don't like the idea of throwing away brass, so I plan to try a Lee undersize die. Hopefully that will work for CBC brass too.