Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Follows While Racking

cz75ipsc

The search didn't provide an answer to this problem.

My STI Edge, which has a Dawson super group installed, works just fine while firing, but when I rack it quickly, the hammer follows and catches the half-cock (sometimes it even misses the half-cock). This doesn't happen if I press the trigger as I rack, or if I rack the gun calmly, or just drop the slide. I haven't tried racking it quickly with a loaded chamber, or even with a dummy round (since I don't have one :( ). Next time I visit the range, I'm going to see if it follows on a loaded chamber.

My question is: What's causing this? (I've read that it has something to do with the inertia of the trigger, correct?) Furthermore, if it doesn't follow on a loaded chamber, should I even try to fix it, as it functions perfectly while shooting, and there's not much reason to ever rack the slide quickly on an empty chamber?

Oh yeah, the gun has only about 1500 rounds through it, and the trigger group has about 1000 rounds. The trigger isn't especially light (around 2,5lbs, or 1100g).

Place your index finger on the face of the hammer (the part that hits the firing pin). Put pressure on it until it bottoms out on the beavertail, then quickly slide your finger off the hammer. That's the general idea behind smacking back the hammer. To truly test the integrity of the sear/hammer interface, you'll want to hit the hammer back with your index finger, rather than place your finger on there and push it.

Try walking the hammer off. (Means hammer cocked, grab sides of hammer between thumb and forefinger and move side to side, you should not be able to make it walk past the full cock notch.)

PS: and definitly have a smith check it out.

Never slam a slide shut on an empty chamber. If you have a light trigger, it probley will follow. Lock the slide back, insert a mag w/ dummy rd., drop slide. If the hammer does'nt follow you are good to go.

I had a very similar problem recently, I am NOT a gunsmith.

Hammer followed only when finger was OFF the trigger.

Never during shooting.

After messing with sear spring and sear angle to no avail,

I increased the amount of pretravel on the trigger slightly and the problem went away.

Travis F.