Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Area 5 Website!

ampleworks

I find both Adobe No-Live and Macromedia Screamweaver to be handy tools for site management and some building layout tasks, but for basic text/script file manipulation on the character level they pale in comparison to tools like BBEdit and TacoHTML Edit (Mac text editors). There is a time for site management and there is a time for direct text massaging, no one app does both best.

PHP Nuke is a great tool for slapping together and managing a database driven portal type site. It beats the heck out of tools like NoLive and Screamweaver unless you have a good commercial PHP template in place in them already already (GoLive 7 and onward does not support dynamic content any longer).

GL and DW both will mutilate character sets in basic text files if you let them so I usually edit basic scripts right on the server in pico, or prepare markup in Taco, or BBEdit locally before pasting into MySQL cells directly in PHPMyAdmin (great tool to use in addition to a portal system like PHP Nuke, E107, or GuppY).

All these solutions use browser based admin and make it a lot less code intensive to get stuff up and running (as long as you are capable of hacking the scripts into place to start).

BTW, the site looks and runs great Jeff. Thanks for the hard work. Even with a tool like PHP Nuke, it is a bit of work to build a site like this and it is appreciated.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

I haven't seen Dreamweaver screw around with my html code yet and even if it does a little bit, you gotta understand: I've recently come off of dealing with the garbaged-up mishmash of <sarcastic quote> html </sarcastic quote> as comes out the back end of MS Frontpage, so ANYTHING is a decided improvement.

That is some real truth. Frontpage sucks hind teat fer sure ;-)

I find a combination of 2-3 applications is what it takes to handle all my coding and site management needs. As I said earlier, I don't think any one app excels at all the steps it takes to build modern websites.

--

Regards,

• 1 month later...
Free bottle of water at the Ohio match if someone can break my Javascript calculators (under Shooter's Tools). When I mean break, so that pressing the Reset button doesn't fix the problem  :lol:  :P

Good job on the calculators, though you forgot to add the no-shoot value to correctly calculate the no-shoot penalties on the stage score calculator.

Thanks Nick, I'm not sure how I didn't see that in testing but nonetheless, its fixed.

If folks could give me ideas for any thing for the site, I'd be more than willing to code it. My mind is just empty at the present time :P

• 3 weeks later...

Site looks real nice, however...

Being from WI, the first thing I looked at was the list of Wisconsin clubs. I see Holmen and Omro, the two new clubs, but no mention of Schultz's, Oconomowoc, Appleton, etc, the established clubs. They used to appear on the old site.

I've been a bit busy the past month with some things, I'm back and available now working to make the site fit our needs.

I've added a disclaimer at the top of the club sections telling the user they should contact the club before the match. If people have concrete info about clubs to be added/removed, please email me webmaster@uspsa-area5.org and I'll get it taken care of.

Thanks