Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moving from SDB -> 550B?

Couple quick questions:

If I were to move from the SDB to a 550B, would I be able to reuse the Strong Mount for the SDB? I assume it's different, since it's priced differently, but is it only a matter of drilling a few new holes?

Dillon quotes a slightly higher rate (500-600) rpm with the 550B over the SDB (400-500). Where does this speed increase come from?

The 550B seems taller -- is it any wider, in terms of lateral space? I have the SDB over towards one edge of my bench, so I have room for a general work area....Would a 550B have the same approximate footprint?

Thx -- about two months ago, I bought a SDB here, and it's been great. Only two complaints: first, sometimes I won't seat a shell in properly in station1 (or it will wiggle loose), and the resulting jam, and auto-index, when I release the arm, really slows me down, since I have to pull the buttons, and shuffle the shells around....second, I notice I can load 9mm significantly faster on the SDB than I can .45acp. I think this is because 9mm is much smaller, and I have more space for my fingers. From what I understand, the 550B has more area around the shellplate?

Just thinking out loud, about a possible move. Must say, the SDB has really been great, and being able to call Dillon on an 800 number, and actually speak to a tech, is terrific.

I've loaded on both, but never owned either (ended up buying a 650). Now that I'm looking to buy a reloader again, it'll probably be a 550, for various reasons.

The 550 definitely has greater working area, and is easier to get around than the SDB seemed to be, for me. I have wide-ish hands w/ short, stubby fingers, so more room is good :) Loading .45 on a 550 was pretty easy.

You also seem to have more leverage with the 550, making it easier and smoother to operate the handle. And, you can get my favorite accessory for it - the roller handle :)

I never tried the SDB out for speed. I was able to do 500 rph on the 550. For reference, I was able to manage 700 rph on a 650 every once in a while, but usually loaded in the 500-600 rph range.

I don't know about the strong mount - I suspect that the top of the SDB strong mount isn't big enough to hold the 550?? If you're interested, you can probably sell your SDB and accessories here or on the USPSA website fairly quickly, and get most of your money back out of it, so a new strong mount won't hurt *that* much :)

The side plates for the SDB strong mount are the same as the side plates for the RL550B strong mount. The difference is the SDB strong mopunt requires the additional top plate to allow mounting to the SDB. Just remove the top plate, attach the sdie plates the the 550 frame. :ph34r:

The main area where you pick up speed on the 550 is rigidity. Even indexing by hand it is much smoother than the SDB. And you really don't lose time indexing anyway if you index the shellplate while you are reaching for an empty.

my reloading bench is only 18" wide, with the 550 bolted in the center of the front edge. I have 6 3/4" clearance on the left, and 4 3/4" on the right of the press, where I put cheapie ziploc containers of brass and bullets. (There's less clearance on the right because of the little ramp the finished rounds slide out on).

I don't use the strongmount (and don't see what I would gain by it).

There is more room on the shellplate of the 550, but it is still possible to jam it, but it doesn't happen very often.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

Good information, everyone, thx.

Dillon -- that's excellet that I could reuse the strong mount, if I did decide to upgrade, just by removing the top-plate.

I'm still really on the fence....OTO(ne)H, if it ain't broke, why spend the extra $? It takes me about exactly 15 minutes/100, which includes verifying a powder drop or two, and clearing the odd jam, so I'm not sure I'd get much more production out of the 550B.

OTOH, man...if I were ever to shoot 3-gun, being able to load .223...

I am with Larry. I'd save up to upgrade to the 650.

You get to keep the auto-indexing feature...which is great for safety when the #1 safety feature (the brain) breaks down. And, you get the option of the case-feeder. Happiness is the right hand never leaving the handle.