Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder For 200 Grain Rainier Loads

JFD

Got a great deal on 1K of 200 grain Rainier bullets.

The best powder I had (as far as I know) was VV N340. Loaded samples from 4.6 grains to 5.3 grains with an OAL of 1.200.

I've always liked the feel of 230 grain bullets in my .45 compared to 200 grainers, so I'm thinking I might like the feel of these 200 grain .40 bullets compared to the 180 grainers I've been using.

Shooting these in my Para Limited gun.

Back when major PF was 175, we used to use N350 with 200 gr plated bullets. I will have to get back to you on the charge. When I transitioned to 180 gr at 165 PF, I did notice that the gun cylcled faster than with the 200 gr. There was a noticeable "ker-chunk" when it went back into battery with the 200 gr. That was with a P-16 also.

Later,

Chuck

i have had excellent results with universal clays and IMR 4756 with heavy200 grain bullets in the 40.

4756 felt softer but was slightly dirtier.

loaded as long as you have them, you could probably get away with slightly faster powder(like N330)

I dug up the N350 numbers for the 200 gr:

* use these loads at your own risk *

N350 5.7 gr 200 gr plated OAL 1.187 843 fps 169 PF

I also found a N320 load

N320 4.5 gr 200 gr plated OAL 1.156 891 fps 178 PF

N320 4.9 gr 180 gr plated OAL 1.156 973 fps 175 PF

I use N340 but only in an open gun with a 135 gr bullet.

Thanks again for the replies.

I bought these bullets just due to the price, as I still have a few thousand of the Rainier 180 JHPs I normally use. The N340 appeared to be the best I had lying around that doesn't get used much.

To me, the para with the 180s feels darn near identical to my Kimber loaded with 220 grain lead RN bullets. They both run to the same PF, but I was kind of surprised anyway. I always preferred the feel of the 220 lead or 230 jacketed in the .45 to 200 grain bullets. Don't really know that it matters, as I could use either without real complaint.

Figure I'll test the loads I have and save the data for later use. Not in any rush to change considering I have a bunch of 180 loads on hand.

I know I'm going to damn well make sure the PF is solid. At the SC State match I used a week-old 180 jacketed load(another E-Bay bargain) that felt softer than my standard Rainier 180 load. The lowest PF was 165, with the average at 168, tested in perfect cloudy conditions. At the chrono stage(direct sun) most of my squad ended up praying to the shooting gods while the RO did everything he could think of to get a final PF of 165.1. It would suit me NOT to go through that again.