Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Acp And American Select

jnshapiro

I'm loading 185gr moly coated lead SWC's for my 45 ACP. According to Alliant's load data, 4.5 gr should get me around 950fps. Enough for major. So, I tried out the load. Doesn't feel to bad, certainly a lot easier on the wrists than factory. I chrono'd it the other day and got 1350! That's a lot more than I need to be shooting! OAL is within spec.

Has anyone else had this happen? I e-mailed Alliant, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm gonna cut the load to 3.5gr and rechrono. Not sure when I'll get the chance, but will do it next time I need to load up some ammo.

Thoughts?

First thought is the chrono is picking up part of the muzzle blast. Is the chrono at least 8 feet from the muzzle?

Second thought is the moly coated bullet instead of the straight lead used in the Alliant data. If that is the case I want some of those bullets.

Third thought is to check the bullet diameter because you didn't say anything about how it grouped. Any thing less than .4522 might be small assuming .0002 for the moly coat.

I reload for skeet and my supplier told me that American Select is a better choice for 12 Ga than Clays because it is softer and just as clean and what he is recommending for trap handicap loads.

Another more likely cause for that kind of velocity is where the sun is in relation to the skyscreens. Sometimes they will pick up a reflection just after passing over the first screen.

The most favorable conditions for chrono'ing is cloudy days. I've even had better luck on a light rain/mist type day than a bright sunny day.

Try repositioning the screens, or put a piece of cardboard up so that it casts a shadow over the screens.

DON"T try to get CLOSER to the screens to get a better reading! Myself and many others have shot a few screens doing just that.

Thanks folks, I worked it out. I moved the location of the chrono so that the screens cast a shadow over the sensors. I also moved back a little farther and rechrono'd. I need to up my load a little. They just fall into minor. Oops.

Did they go Minor at 3.5 or 4.5?

In comparing shotgun loads, which is what American Select is really for, a comparable dram equivilant load is almost 2000 PSI less chamber pressure than Clays.

I think I want to try this with some 185Gr Berry HB that I have laying around.

• 1 year later...

I really don't like the snap/muzzle rise trying to get a 185 to major but I will give you some results with 230's. Chrono 10' from muzzle. 10 shot groups. Schumann AET barrel. Federal cases. Target 15 yards. Match load 5.2 WST Montana Gold 200

4.4 AS Precision 230 746-777 ~ 2" group 1" above POA

4.4 AS MasterBlaster 225 765-794 ~ 2" group 1" high 1" right

4.6 AS Berry 230 677-768 ~ 3" groups probably caused by the large spread

4.8 AS Berry 230 697-788

Less smoke with the moly bullets than Clays or lead but more than with the Berry's. Late evening shooting showed flame trails like all the powder was not burning in the barrel.

Test with WST & the MasterBlaster 225 were even better.

4,2 Win case 716-760

4.2 Fed case 708-763

4.3 Win case 745-785

4.3 Fed case 725-771

4.4 Win case 743-810

4.4 Fed case 730-796

This test was primarily to see if there was any difference in case brands, WST was used because it meters better than Clays or American Select through the Dillon powder measure. Will probably redo this test this spring for the 625 with Berry & Precision Delta 230's.

I use American select for plated and jacketed loads in 45 ACP and reduced powewr loads in 40 S&W and 357 Magnum - very consistent velocity and clean burning. I have also used WST in 45 ACP, both it and American Select meter well in my Dillon 550.