Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Witness sear issues

shnelson

Ran into a problem recently with my witness, thought it was initially recoil spring issues but I've dug in a little deeper and think I have it isolated to the sear or trigger bar.

Intermittently, the slide will cycle and the trigger will not drop the hammer. Feels almost as though the safety is on. Upon manipulating the hammer, there is an audible click and the gun will function.

I can replicate this 100% of the time if I hold the trigger bar down while cocking the hammer. Not sure which spring I should be chasing here... trigger plunger spring?

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by shnelson

2 minutes ago, shnelson said:

Ran into a problem recently with my witness, thought it was initially recoil spring issues but I've dug in a little deeper and think I have it isolated to the sear or trigger bar.

Intermittently, the slide will cycle and the trigger will not drop the hammer. Feels almost as though the safety is on. Upon manipulating the hammer, there is an audible click and the gun will function.

I can replicate this 100% of the time if I hold the trigger bar down while cocking the hammer. Not sure which spring I should be chasing here... trigger plunger spring?

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can you provide a bit more info?.?.?.?.? What gun is this on, is this happening in DA or SA, have you changed springs out to something other than factory?

Attached video to original post for reference. 

I purchased the gun used, there's been spring work done to it prior to my ownership and it's functioned great for a couple thousand rounds. Honestly, I'm a bit embarrassed, but I struggle to identify what technical model this gun actually is - mostly because I don't follow their product line that well. Lower says Witness, top slide says Limited. It is single action only.

There appears to be a non-factory spring with the plunger currently. It ls longer and lighter than the factory spring I have on hand. When I place the factory weight plunger spring into the gun, the trigger fails to come forward to full reset. 

Check the trigger to see if it has a pretravel stop up in the frame. If so, you may simply need to back that off slightly to let the trigger move forward the slightest bit more.

I'm not familiar enough with the SA guns to knows if your trigger has one or not, but that's where I'd go if my gun were equipped with one.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Check the trigger to see if it has a pretravel stop up in the frame. If so, you may simply need to back that off slightly to let the trigger move forward the slightest bit more.

I'm not familiar enough with the SA guns to knows if your trigger has one or not, but that's where I'd go if my gun were equipped with one.

Man, I looked at that over and over and it appeared fine. Figured it was worth a shot after you mentioned it here, brought it in a quarter turn and the pistol now passes function check. It is rather loose, must have worked itself out just enough to cause problems. 

Going to give it a range check tomorrow and apply loctite if everything is good.

Thanks for the tip!

MemphisMechanic gave the advice i was going to give so obviously, it was right  (joke).

Fyi  you look to have a standard frame, probably a Match. The slide / upper assembly is probably from a different gun. Sort of an amalgam.