Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ CTS / SP01 / KADET - sights and trigger

scroadkill

Hey all - I could use a bit of help here before I spend more $ on something that don't quite work.
I'm playing USPSA production games - trying to fight my way into mid B class. I started off last year with a nice SP01 Shadow, then picked up a kadet upper to practice with, and more recently on an impulse sprung for a CTS LS-P which I have come to really really really like. What I like most I think is the short reset trigger, and the 1mm fo front / plain bomar rear sight picture - especially for the harder shots. Im still getting used to the balance of the CTS but oh-my. 
I may end up shooting limited with the CTS and using the sp01 shadow for production but I'de like the sight pic and triggers to feel the same.

So now I'm thinking, how can I get a similar sight picture and trigger feel on my SP01 Shadow and Kadet Upper as the CTS.
I'm leaning towards Dawson Precision for the front sights  - 6.5mm H x 0.1" W with 1mm red fiber sound right?
and Pre-B Drop In disconnector for the shadow from CZ customs?

if i recall you can add short reset kit, trigger, springs, short lifter if you have firing pin block   and polish, maybe a heavy guide rod to simulate more weight.     you should be close.....   it depends on what work was done on both  what work has been done on either .  thing is any shadow version still could use some work to get it to really sing....   i have the last parts of my puzzle for spo1   lifter and disco  left to install  to have short reset and full package.....    im a cajun fan..... but i understand czc has  similar parts..... i'd call or write the guys at cajun or czc   check out the 75115 kit from cajun then subtract what you already have

for sight pic   match the parts front and rear ....but cts ls  ls is longer so you'll never match it.  

Edited by biglou13

Get the new disco from CGW and hand fit it. It'll get your Shadow feeling a lot more like the CTS, but as biglou said, the longer sight radius you'll never be able to match.

Get the SRS, hammer if you haven't already done so, and polish the internals.

+1  the hammer makes a huge difference on the break  and they have a hammer that cajun tweaks and stays in production...

i took a bit of a different route  on polishing  i found some inexpensive stones  and used those on flat surfaces.

and dont forget reduced trigger return spring.   if you havent broken first one you will soon.   cajun as a new design but  not out yet....

make sure to pin the disco and hammer pin .... don't ask me how i know

i have screen shots of old cajun site it explains the mods. a little better.

kneeling atlas who is here   the resident CZ guru i expect him to chime in any time now

sorry if we/ I am pushing for full package.... but i piece mealed  mine over time and cost me more  $$ and more headaches.  but boy does she sing....  even compared to shadow......   and that is with out short reset...   but im my quest for sub .20 splits i've decided to add the last 2 part of package....  i cant stress how much a better gun over stock. !!!!!! 

short of straight trigger of cts you'll get similar feel to in single action   mine in 3.7 with 11# spring 

but if we are going to far let us know and well fine tune our recommendations..  also give us a  list of work done to shadow

ps.  i think cajun sites are dawson  im not sure where you live but i'd let you shoot mine and im sure others here would offer the same to get the feel of tuned spo1/ shadow

PPS   welcome to the board

Edited by biglou13

thanks all for the tips .. I called Dawson, got out the calipers, did the measuring as suggested by Dawson from the top of slide to top of sight, and ordered up two front sights..
for the Kadet : 0.195"H x 0.100"W 0.040" rod  -- 019-027
and for the Shadow 0.175"H x 0.100"W x 0.040" rod -- sku:  019-130
I had to ask, but apparently all of Dawson's sights are 1mm ( 0.040") - a detail missing from their shopping cart.

I also swapped the main springs between the CTS and Shadow.
This did three things.. lighted up the shadow's SA pull nicely and seemed to smooth it out some.
The CTS's trigger is a bit harder to pull, but still very short and crisp. DA picked up a pound or so.
I then took the CTS frame w/ kadet upper down to the range and ran 150 rounds of Winchester whitebox maxing out 4 mags to 10 rounds ea and ran some drills.
Kadet kit ran flawless. I used to have fail to eject problems w/ the kadet kit on the shadow lower, and fail to fire on the CTS lower..

Now waiting on the sights to come in.

20170302_171621.jpg

I ran around 800 rounds of .22 whitebox winchester and thunderbolts last week in my CTS's frame with the mainspring that came with my 91154 shadow. the blue spring didn't work.. about 1 out of 5 failed to fire .. but the stock shadow mainspring ran flawlessly. 100% fire and ejected clean. not sure of the #age

Kadet : 0.195"H x 0.100"W -- sku Dawson : 019-027
Shadow 0.175"H x 0.100"W  --  sku:  Dawson: 019-130

So far so good with the Dawson replacement sights. a very easy replacement. The measurements/SKus seem right. I was within 4-5 clicks on the LPA vertical adjustment on the Kadet.

I can see where the stock shadow 1.5mm fiber may be a bit faster / easier to pick up for really close shots but the 0.100" post with 1mm fiber is really nice for the longer shots.

As for the sight picture for the dawson'ed shadow and kadet vs the cts longslide - the only real difference I see now is the stock CZ front sight on the CTS is a bit fuzzy around the edges. Otherwise everything is hard to tell the difference. The Dawson sales pitch is right. clearer, and brighter dot. I'm thinking about another Dawson sight for my CTS simply to sharpen up the edges.

Next project : pre-b disco for my sp01 shadow.