Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primers too high for shell plate?

I'm sure this is a real easy thing, but I just can't see it.

I haven't loaded on the 550 for a few years.  I switched it from 45ACP to 10MM, and now the primers are sitting high enough in the primer seating cup, the shell plate can't rotate.  

The shell plate rotates fine without a primer in the cup, and if I raise it, it turns fine.

Before I switched it out, I loaded 500 45s and had no issues, there isn't anything stuck in the primer cup.. 

what am I missing?

thanks, Dave

i had to bump my handle a few times when i first ran it  (bought it used)   but now it works fine.     cycle handle a few times see if it loosens up

take off shell plate, detent ball spring, clean and reassemble....  make sure to loosen and tighten brass tip set screw on main shaft.. then tension shell plate bolt appropriately

im curious if this will fix your issue

(wild guess ) if that fails then i'd consider new detent ball spring

im about to switch too 223 shell plate ill repost if i can find issue

Edited by biglou13

Thanks, I don't have a powder measure on it, I was doing individual measures with a dispenser and a 500 powder die to work up some loads, but I threw on on there, and no change.

Taking off the shell plate and trying a different tension did the trick, I had just tightened down the bolt too far. It seemed fine after so long, but the new tension, now that i tried it, seems very familiar.

15 hours ago, D.Hayden said:

Thanks, I don't have a powder measure on it, I was doing individual measures with a dispenser and a 500 powder die to work up some loads, but I threw on on there, and no change.

Taking off the shell plate and trying a different tension did the trick, I had just tightened down the bolt too far. It seemed fine after so long, but the new tension, now that i tried it, seems very familiar.

+1