Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optic back up gun

Mrguns

18 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

I'd love to see video of this.  Would laugh my ass off.

I don't have a video but here's a picture.

Did you spend hundreds of dollars to travel to the USPSA Carry Optics Nationals?  Waste money on travel, lodging and entry fee?  Get barred from entry by some stuck up rule-nitpicking MD because your off-brand ebay red dot decided to self-destruct?  NO PROBLEM! 

Introducting the USPSA Carry Optics backup kit!  Just install directly to your slide and your Production gun has now been magically transformed into a Carry Optics gun!

Only $100 with FREE SHIPPING!  Red dot is available in two sizes, regular or fine point Sharpie, for an extra $10 fee.  Electronic version is available for an extra $20 fee by sandwiching a watch battery in between "optic material" layers.

BEWARE FAKES AND KNOCKOFFS!  We only use genuine 3M-brand Scotch-style "optic material" for our true 1x magnification window.

pix661097662.jpg

Edited by JimmyBob

53 minutes ago, teros135 said:

I never said someone couldn't finish with the irons that are on a legitimate CO gun if the dot goes out.  The question was about whether a standard PRODUCTION gun (iron sights, no optic, per Appendix D4) could be used as a backup in CO.  The answer is "no", per the CO rules in Appendix D7, line 13, "Optical/electronic sights REQUIRED" (caps in original). 

Thought that is what you meant be was just wondering if you read something in the rules that my "Senior" reading comprehension missed. 

From Troy:

As the rules are right now, the optic must stay on the gun, but using co-witnessed irons is legal, as would be simply looking through the optic.

Looks like I should look at suppressor-height sights for my G17 as a backup.  I worry about "...as the rules are right now," though.

Also seems to imply that 5.1.6 does not require the optic to function as manufactured (or, for that matter, even be turned on).

I really think there's an opportunity for Votrex, Burris, etc. to do an "etched illuminated" reticle if that's even possible (which it probably isn't, geometry being three dimensional and an etching being two dimensional).

Edited by mreed911

58 minutes ago, JimmyBob said:

I don't have a video but here's a picture.

Did you spend hundreds of dollars to travel to the USPSA Carry Optics Nationals?  Waste money on travel, lodging and entry fee?  Get barred from entry by some stuck up rule-nitpicking MD because your off-brand ebay red dot decided to self-destruct?  NO PROBLEM! 

Introducting the USPSA Carry Optics backup kit!  Just install directly to your slide and your Production gun has now been magically transformed into a Carry Optics gun!

Only $100 with FREE SHIPPING!  Red dot is available in two sizes, regular or fine point Sharpie, for an extra $10 fee.  Electronic version is available for an extra $20 fee by sandwiching a watch battery in between "optic material" layers.

BEWARE FAKES AND KNOCKOFFS!  We only use genuine 3M-brand Scotch-style "optic material" for our true 1x magnification window.

pix661097662.jpg

This is quite possibly one of the bestest posts on BEnos on a while. Just needs to be modified so that the tape is all between the rear sight and ejection port.  :)

Edited by mreed911