Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is The Double Stack Worth It?

North

Hello,

I've been shooting Limited and Limited-10 for about a year. I've got my "C" class in both and I'm knocking on the "B" door. I've done it with a Springfield singlestack Loaded model that I've put adjustable rear sights and a fiber optic front sight on. Bought some 10 round mags and all is good.

I've got the bug to upgrade my match pistol. I was thinking about getting a good limited gun, but by the time you get mags, holster, and everything else you need you are looking at atleast 2500 to 3000 dollars.

I looked at getting a good single stack and you can get a Springfield Trophy Match for around 1100 dollars, throw in the best holsters and stuff and your still only at about 1400 bucks.

So hears what I'm thinking, get the trophy match and put on Fiber optic front sight and the race holster, belt, and mag carriers. And an XD in 9mm with the holster and mag carriers for production. This should all come in right about 2000.

This way I can Shoot 3 divisions, limited, L-10, and production. I think I can be competitive with the double stacks in limited, I'm usually in the top 5 at the local match shooting against "c" and "b" shooters. The trophy match will not limit me in L-10 at all, and the xd should do well in production.

Where am I going Wrong, is the Double stack 1911 just that more fun to shoot?

North

You can take this sport to what ever level you'd like to.

With what you said, I would buy a Glock 35 (which ever is the .40 cal long slide) and buy extended base plates for the mags and shoot limited and production with it. And have another set of 10 round mags for Production. You can load MINOR for Production and MAJOR for Limited. And keep you 1911 just for L10.

And YES, 2011 (1911) double stacks are fun to shoot. It all hinges on how much you want to spend or invest.

Ron

I don't know that a double stack is more fun to shoot, but without those extra rounds it's hard to be competitive in Limited.

I wouldn't get another single stack unless you're not serious about being competitive in Limited outside of your local match.

I started shooting USPSA three years ago shooting production division with a Glock. I am still shooting production division with a Glock and I am pretty competitive with it now. Every few years I fight the urge to buy a STI and I just keep shooting what I have.

I would say put the money away unless you feel that you want to get higher up on the overall combined division results. You can learn just as much about shooting from your SS 1911 as from another gun.

You didn't say anything about a magwell for your 1911.

I would get a trigger job done and buy a magwell before anything else. Then spend some money on ammo and ride that 1911 to the top of L10.

Good Luck!

I faced the same dilema you have. I laid out of USPSA for several years. When I shot before I used a single stack Springfield and competed in Limited, in the days before L10. I decided to jump back in this year and got all new epuipment including the gun.

Whatever belt and holster you use for you ss will work just fine for a double stack. Depending on which ones you get, mag pouches might be a little pricier for double stacks, but not enough to break the bank.

As far as guns go, a good used S_I or Para can be found for a good deal and they usually come with a couple of mags.

Keep your current Springfield for L10 and get a double stack. You'll be surprised at how things go without having to change the mag after 10 rounds.

You could go with a G35(.40) and shoot Limited with it. It will take some getting use to. The XD could also be used for Limited. Grip angle is closer to 1911 on XD. I would think that someone is making extended base pads for the XD by now. A Para is also an option. Look for a used one. What ever you do, shoot everything before you buy. I wouldn't get 9mm. Touch to shoot Limted scoring minor. I shoot a G35, it has taken me about 6 months to get back to where I was with my P16. The grip and trigger are tough to get use to. Good luck, TXAG

If you already have a singlestack .45, I don't see why you would buy another one. Keep the Springfield Loaded. Shoot it in L10, where it will be the most competitive. Go ahead and buy racy holster, etc. If you get CR Speed pouches and holster, they will adjust to fit an STI, should you ever get one.

Some here have/will argue that you will improve most by sticking with a single firearm/division. But if you want to expand into production, by all means buy an XD. If you want to go limited, a 10+1 gun is going to hurt you eventually (does your local club just have lots of short courses, or courses with mandatory reloads after 6 or 8 rounds?). Having 19+1 gives you a lot more choice about where to reload, and requires fewer reloads, both of which will increase your speed.

In any case, if you are happy and enjoying yourself, that's what counts. Buying another gun probably won't allow you to actually shoot more, but if it allows you to shoot differently, then it might be worth it. So ask yourself "what's going to be different?" when you buy your next heater.

Oh yeah...my answer to the question is "yes, it is worth it". I bought a used STI 6" .40 limited gun after shooting my Kimber Gold Match in L10. I really like the freedom you get from a limited gun--just letting the shooting flow rather than having to reload all the time (after every target array). In L10, it's often better to shoot standing still, and relaod while moving, whereas limited will often reward you for shooting on the move between positions. The two divisions really are quite different on longer field courses. Also, .40 brass and bullets are less expensive than .45. The brass is practically free.

DD

thanks for all the advise. I'm still not sure. I hate buying a gun just for competition (not that I won't), and I can't see much, if anything, is useful in anything but a match with the double stacks. both the XD and the trophy match could serve double duty as a CCW. I was thinking about retiring my current springfield, putting the factory novaks back on and use it for my carry weapon.

I plan on focusing on L-10 for a while, I was thinking the XD would be good for production, but with the single stack division coming out I may just focus on that and L-10.

With only 15 GM's in L-10 I see room at the top, Just have to practice. :D

Thanks again.

North,

If you are interested in a good magwell for that single stack of yours, take a look at the wide mouth magwell for single stack 1911s that is made by SVI. It is a little pricey but it comes with the magwell and a special mainspring housing for it. Once you get used to it you can almost hit your reload with your eyes closed plus it really makes your gun look nice. I have one on my Springfield Loaded SS 9mm and love it.