Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing Gen4 springs?

vnboileau

I ordered a Lone Wolf ss Gen4 guide rod and 13# ISMI spring

I assume I just swap out the larger spring (it's a dual spring guide rod) and leave the smaller one in place?  I'm also not sure I have the correct spring.  Are there gen3 and gen4 recoil springs?

I didn't know Lone Wolf made a Gen4 guide rod?  You used to have to purchase a Gen3 guide rod with an adapter.

To your original question, the OEM Gen4 guide rod/spring assembly is a captured assembly, you do not take it apart.  Take it out, set it aside.  Assemble ISMI spring to the Lone Wolf rod and use some blue loctite on the screw.  Put the Lone Wolf assembly into your Gen4 using the special Gen4 adapter they sell.  You have to buy the adapter separately.

I prefer the Jager Gen4 aftermarket guide rods, they do not need an adapter, they are made to fit the larger guide rod hole at the muzzle of the slide.

2 hours ago, sitw said:

I prefer the Jager Gen4 aftermarket guide rods, they do not need an adapter, they are made to fit the larger guide rod hole at the muzzle of the slide.

I agree and have used the Jager Gen4 guide rods for years and they work perfectly with ismi springs. 

So typically, if you just bought the 13lb ISMI spring and not a "13lb recoil spring assembly," you wouldn't be able to use it. The Gen 4 style dual-spring assemblies usually do not allow you to change the spring weight. You normally have to buy an entirely new assembly with a different published weight to do that. 

But, from the product description, it looks like Lone Wolf does allow you to change the spring weights on these. So if that's the case, you're right, it should just be a matter of swapping out the larger springs. 

I've been using Wolff units for a long time and use their springs for many different brand of pistols. gunsprings.com

They offer a guide rod for the Glock 19 for 24.95 with different weight springs, but there are quite a few other manufacturers that offer the same. You might want to try lonewolfdist.com and ismi-gunsprings.com too.

Dave

I just wasn't sure if the gen3 spring is the same as the larger one of the gen4 springs.  I called Lone Wolf, but they didn't know either.  And I don't see anywhere to purchase gen4 specific springs.  But it seems odd that LW would sell a rod that allowed you to swap springs where there are no replacement springs.

vnboileau

Yeah, my mistake, that is a newer product of theirs that I did not know about.  If it is designed to replace only the larger spring, then yes, I would assume you tune it by replacing the larger spring and keep the smaller spring that comes with the assembly.  But I want to be clear, I said assume because I have never worked with this new assembly first hand.  Report back and let the rest of us know what you did and how it worked.

On 1/28/2017 at 10:59 AM, diver60540 said:

What do you gentlemen suggest for a Gen 3 M19 steel guide rod and spring? I'd like a lighter spring and heavier rod than the stock set up.

Nothing against the Lone Wolf stuff, but I like the Jager Gen3 guide rods as well as their Gen4.  What weight spring depends on if you are using factory ammo or reloads and what power factor you are reloading for.  Give me a little more info.