Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shotgun

GBTX01

I recently built my "perfect" 3-gun shotgun. I find a great deal on a used Rem 1100 and made the following additions...

Replaced rifle sights with XS Express Rifle Sights 24/7

Mag extension

Easy Loader

Tactical charging handle

Speedfeed pistol grip stock with extra ammo holder

6 shot side saddle

I've taken the gun to a couple of matches now. It shoots great. The XS sights are awesome. The large front dot works just like a front bead on quick shots and the low profile of the rear sight doesn't get in the way, but come in very handy for the farther out slug shots. I really like the increased controlablity of the Pistol grip and the Easy loader has helped increase my reloading. All in all I am extremely impressed with my build. I've decided to replace my Rem 1100 Competition Master and make this my new full-time 3-gun shotgun. Which means that I'll soon be parting with my Competition Master as soon as I can find a buyer.

I really enjoy the satisfaction of building something myself and it turning out better than I expected.

post-4419-1132629435_thumb.jpg

post-4419-1132629608_thumb.jpg

Edited by GBTX01

I've been on the forum for about 9 months but I send most of my time trying to take in as much info as I can. I figure that I have a lot more to learn than to contribute at this point. There is nothing worse than the village idiot trying to pass himself off as well educated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My set-up is similar. Used 1100 skeet gun, new synthetic stock, speed spoon, side shell holder, tactical charging handle. Had the vent rib barrel cut 4 inches and mounted Hi-Viz sights. Accurate, reliable, affordable. Bought a lot of ammo with the money saved.

I currently use a large black military rubberband just in front of the reciever to hold two extra rounds. It seems to work well so far. I'll eventually upgrade to the 8rd holder, but the 6rd was free and on hand when I was building it.

I bought it from a guy who started making it a 3gun shottie and then became interested in other shooting ventures. I'm not sure which model it was orginally. I think I paid 350 and finished the gun for under $500.

• 3 months later...

The only thing that I didn't like about the CM was it didn't have a pistol grip and I prefer rifle sights over the double bead. I bought the CM because it was ready to shoot.

I got a great deal on my new 1100 and was able to build exactly what I wanted for $200+ less than a CM.

I had no problems with the CM I just like what I built better.

GBTX01... cool. I really enjoy tweaking and "personalizing" a gun.

You should have no problem finding a home for your 1100CM... I'm sure there are a lot of guys who would appreciate having one.

I picked up my new in box 1100CM yesterday. Only had time to put one mag full of 00 Buck through it so far, but I do like it. The pull feels nice and short compared to my Mossberg 500 Persuader. I think I'm going to leave the 1100CM in it's stock form and add a few more shotguns for different variations.

I like the idea of making up a "personalized" shotgun... your post is an inspiration!

Edited by DHart

• 1 month later...
Which model did this start off as and what was the price, I am in the market for a new 3-gun Shotty as well.
I found my Rem 1100 basis on gunbroker.com for $150. Exactly what I was looking for. A rather ratty 1100 that needed a new stock and the finish could use some work. Got a vent rib barrel off eBay to whack to the required legnth for $88. This and and an order from Brownells for the stock and mag extension will have me set.

Be patient grasshopper. Monitor gunbroker.com for a few weeks and a good basis 1100 will show up. Do the same on eBay for the barrel if the basis gun doesn't have what you need.

FYI: For $150 I didn't expect the gun to even shoot. Stuffed some 3 dram loads in the magazine and fired away. Worked as advertised. Woohoo.