Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polymer Carry P...

Bapple

Well, for almost 3 weeks now, I have entered one of my LGS to see if the Witness Carry P I saw there was still there.  Knowing I wanted one eventually, and the curiosity of tearing a poly Tanfo down was getting to me.  Well, it was still there today, and I could not resist it any longer, so it came home with me.

I have pretty much completely disassemblied it already.  I did not take out the firing pin and spring yet, will do that when I get around to it.  I wanted to see how this thing was put together in a polymer frame.  Pretty straight forward, as the trigger assembly is housed in its own steel casing as well as the sear cage and hammer are house in there own steel casing.  This gun does have the 1 piece sear already which is a plus.  Tearing down the trigger and hammer assemblies further to get the springs out looks pretty straight forward.  The hammer pin looks to be a roll pin instead of a solid pin like in the steel guns.

Question-I have all of the Xtreme parts that I took off of my Xtreme Stock 2, should I (or can I? will those parts fit this gun?) install these parts since I already have them, or should I buy the titan/bolo and install with all new PD parts and springs?  What do you guys think?

Here is a quick picture of the disassembly so far...

WCP%20001_zpsd4aqd7as.jpg

Before you start modifying it, are you using it for defensive purposes? I only ask because when you modify stuff, if you do have to shoot someone, God forbid, the firearm will be gone through with a fine tooth comb. Your liability will increase if you start messing with safety measures and stuff... I'm just saying that from the prospective of devil's advocate.

The thought of carrying a poly Tanfo seemed great before I bought this, however after actually having it in hand, this would probably never be carried for defensive use by me.  Not a fan of cocked and locked carry and it is on the larger side for carry, for me at least  My Glocks with stay on duty as my carry and defensive guns.

This will probably just be a range gun or perhaps maybe run a few competitions with it perhaps just for the hell of it.  Will just have to see.

The DA pull is probably hideous in it I would guess.

So Bapple, are you using it or IDPA then? Or just as a fun gun? With the machining tolerances of the all steel stuff, I cringe at the thought of what they have done to a poly gun. The only way to see if those things will fit is to try. I would say ask ARy, but the mods seem to have banned him again. And I'm probably next

9 hours ago, eboadway said:

Why cocked and locked? 

Nor do I want to carry one in the pipe hammer down.  Been a Glock EDC'er for the last 10 years and that is my comfort zone when carrying.  

9 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

The DA pull is probably hideous in it I would guess.

So Bapple, are you using it or IDPA then? Or just as a fun gun? With the machining tolerances of the all steel stuff, I cringe at the thought of what they have done to a poly gun. The only way to see if those things will fit is to try. I would say ask ARy, but the mods seem to have banned him again. And I'm probably next

The DA was absolutely horrible, super heavy, stacking like crazy, and very gritty.  However the SA wasnt too bad.  It wasnt good by any means, but doable.

This is gonna be a fun gun/range gun.  It was a cheap buy ($325) so it's not too bad.  

The more I think about it, I may just try to install the Xtreme parts from the Stock 2.  I have an Xtreme firing pin (not sure that would work with the block in this gun), the hammer and disconnector that came from the Xtreme, both the medium hammer spring and medium firing pin spring.  Also have a stash of reduced sear and trigger springs.  

So switching to those would really cost nothing as I have all that in my spare parts box now.  A good polish and adding in new springs/parts might be the route to go.

5 hours ago, Bapple said:

Nor do I want to carry one in the pipe hammer down.  Been a Glock EDC'er for the last 10 years and that is my comfort zone when carrying.  

Carrying the Tanfo hammer-down with a firing pin block between the pin and the primer is pretty much exactly the same as carrying a Glock.

Except in the Glock the striker is partially cocked... so theoretically the Tanfo is actually safer.

I'm not sure how this gun is causing uneasiness.

I do however, agree that it's less ideal than a G19 for carry. That grip is long. The gun weighs over half a pound more than a similar Glock model (about 10 oz).

I plan to grab one of the compact models eventually to play with, too. But have a feeling I'll still carry my 9mm SHIELD almost all the time.

17 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Carrying the Tanfo hammer-down with a firing pin block between the pin and the primer is pretty much exactly the same as carrying a Glock.

Except in the Glock the striker is partially cocked... so theoretically the Tanfo is actually safer.

I'm not sure how this gun is causing uneasiness.

I do however, agree that it's less ideal than a G19 for carry. That grip is long. The gun weighs over half a pound more than a similar Glock model (about 10 oz).

I plan to grab one of the compact models eventually to play with, too. But have a feeling I'll still carry my 9mm SHIELD almost all the time.

For me, its the same analogy as carrying appendix.  Even though I am carrying a Glock and an AD has almost a zero chance of happening, I still dont want a gun pointing at my junk no matter what it is or how it is carried.  The Tanfo may very well be just as safe or safer, but like you said, I will stick with my Glock when defensive or EDC is needed.

I would totally install the Xtreme parts and see how that works. At least it's all factory. Maybe even a light polish. But I wouldn't go changing too many springs in a defensive type gun. For liability as I said above. I do love in a much different state than most for litigious purposes. The good thing about carrying a DA/SA gun is that you have to pull ALLLLLLL the way through they long ass DA first. Anyone who has fired Beretta 92 series guns knows better than most lol those are some of the longest I have shot. 

Have you tried another form of carry? Appendix with any gun, for me, made the twig and giggle berries feel like always hanging left to be out of the line of fire. I have swapped to shoulder carry (after trying literally every single type). I prefer that over anything right now. I have done inside and outside waistband in every position, I kind of want to try that urban carry thingy. I have carried my 1911s condition 1 and my hammer fired HK P2000 in my shoulder holster. It's super comfy and 2 more mags are easily available. The moody compact gun I have is my HK p2000. 

Yeah I am going to install the Xtreme parts I think.  I have them already, so why not.  

One question, if I use the Xtreme firing pin, will I need the extended firing pin block or will the factory one work?

On EDC for me, I have been carrying a subcompact Glock for the last 10 years.  Have only carried in one method.  This is the one that worked best for me when I started, and is what I stick with today.  IWB kydex at 3:30-4 oclock position.  I basically dont know it's even there anymore since I have been carrying like this for so long.  Everytime I try something different, I always end right back with IWB at 3:30-4.

Got everything put back together.  Use PD sear and trigger springs, Xtreme hammer and disco, EGD Xtreme Light hammer spring and light firing pin spring.  Put in a OEM polished Stock 2 firing pin.  I will add the Xtreme firing pin once I get the replacement from the bent one I had as well as when I can get another extended firing pin block.

Also did a light polish on most of the main areas.  What a difference a few different parts, springs and little polish can do, this thing feels great now, a completely different gun from when I picked it up stock.  I did have to fit the sear/safety after changing out the different springs/parts.

Here is where it stands now...

DA

WCP1%20008_zpsmh72uflv.jpg

And SA

WCP1%20009_zpsfiyue1ha.jpg

Thanks Memphis!  If I decided to ever use this as a defensive gun, I would definitely change the springs back out.  Although the EGD light trigger spring says it is eqivalent to a 13.8# srping so essentially a 14# spring.  

After testing this one out, I may go back and change to the medium springs and see what I get.  This thing feels incredible now, and it really isnt that bad to take apart and reassembly, only slightly more involved than the steel guns.  

• 2 months later...

Not normally one to bring old threads back to life, but I am curious if there are steel frame rails/grooves inside the frame.  I would assume so, and that the slide isn't just rubbing across plastic.