Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super X 2 practicle shotguns

hgr2

I'm a hypocrite, Steve . . . I shoot Open Division in 3-gun anyway! :P As you know, the other shooters fear my single stack .45 in the pistol results! :rolleyes:

Although . . . if some of the local matches institute a "tactical" division where we can have a scope on the rifle, then everything else limited, I might just slap an unported barrel on my 1100.

I don't know about opening up that loading port, but on the advice of Mr. Neth we installed an extra heavy spring under the shell latch the double feed has completly gone away. Then just to be a little gamey Benny Hill made me a one inch,one shot extension for the mag tube and with the right technique you can start with one on the carrier just like the benneli for 11 rds.

hgr2,

I thought I would try and work out how to load the feed tray like you describe, and after a short while realised that to actually be able to do it you need enough space in the mag for another round anyway!

I tried loading the mag and then pulling the bolt partially back and hand loading one onto the tray and breech, like benelli owners do, but found this wouldnt work because as soon as you push a round onto the tray it automatically releases the mag stop and another round pushes out of the mag and you get a horrible mess.

The second way I tried which worked was loading the gun as normal and the last round into the mag you ease past the shell lifter ends, without pushing it fully into the mag and let it slip back into the load tray area.

The problem with this is that you need enough spare space in the mag to allow the extra round to go into before it falls back into the carrier, so why not simply put it in the mag in the first place ?? As a modified shooter this feature actually doesn't help me as its six of one and half a dozen of the other. I see you can fit 11 in your gun, so you dont shoot limited, so how does this help you ? I can see an advantage in limited if Benelli owners are allowed an extra round in the gun because of this feature.

I was having problems with the bolt not returning forward when dry cycling rounds through the gun and eventually realised yesterday that the mag spring is too weak to push the ejected rounds back far enough on the load tray to release the bolt carrier forward. I thought the weakness in the 11/87, 1100 platform was the fact the round had to be ejected hard enough to hit the bolt release from the magazine, and it would appear that although the systems are different, the strength of the mag spring on the SX2 is also essential to make the thing work. There was me thinking of having an extremely light mag spring and a big advantage after putting my 11/87 into retirement !! :(

Ho Humm

One thing which may be of interest to some is a pistol grip stock for the SX2. I have searched high and low for one but to no avail. Today I tried to see if my 11/87 speedfeed IV S stock would fit and was amazed to find that with a bit of adaption the remmy Speedfeed stock should fit fine. Vise versa the SX2 stock will fit an 1100, 11/87 and all you have to do to the Speedfeed is grind out an extra inch or so for the SX2 trigger guard to fit in and ease the ridge to fit the contours of the SX frame and hey presto.

I'll let you know if it works !!

Mike

Mike.45:

I still maintain that a pistol grip stock is the sign of the devil!!! Leave that SX2 stock alone and on the gun! Dave Neff, who lurcks around this board probable has more experience with the SX2 than anyone else I know and should be able to tell you about spring setups for you Winchester. See you in two weeks!! in Terni. KURT

I still maintain that a pistol grip stock is the sign of the devil!!! Leave that SX2 stock alone and on the gun!

We will soon see matey, I have spoken to the RM in Terni and they have now decided camo guns are completely outlawed.........its not my fault..... it just cropped up in conversation!!! :D

Mike

Mike:

I happen to know cammo guns are okay, because the RM said "if I can't see it, it cant be real". I have got him half convinced that I can yell BANG loud enough to break clay and knock over steel while pantomiming holding said "ghost gun" and I told him I wouldn't need any ammo upon arrival. Besides, pistol grips stick out like....well....a pistol grip, while cammo sticks out like......uh.....where's my shotgun??? I know it's here some where!!! HELP!!!! KURT

• 5 years later...

Dayum I love this forum...lol I had a problem with a light firing pin strike on a shotshell at Superstition Mtn this year and again a week ago in a local match. Within a matter of seconds the search engine had provided a page of threads with the key search words and bingo! I called Tom N and within a matter of a few minutes the problem was solved. He mentioned that a small spring that works the hammer could be the problem if the gun is left cocked for a length of time. The spring weakens which is understandable. He has the springs and will ship...very cool.

• 4 months later...
Dayum I love this forum...lol I had a problem with a light firing pin strike on a shotshell at Superstition Mtn this year and again a week ago in a local match. Within a matter of seconds the search engine had provided a page of threads with the key search words and bingo! I called Tom N and within a matter of a few minutes the problem was solved. He mentioned that a small spring that works the hammer could be the problem if the gun is left cocked for a length of time. The spring weakens which is understandable. He has the springs and will ship...very cool.

I have that "light strike" problem with my SX2. About 1 in 10 shots results in a dimpled primer but no bang. 2 gunsmiths have been baffled and the SX2 sits in my gun safe. Can you get me in touch with Tom N?

I believe that you can find him in Emmett Idaho at a sporting good shop named Ese. If not look up Dave Neth on the forum and send him a PM on how to get in touch with his dad. Great guys and I'm sure they will be glad to help you out. Tom said that if I leave the gun cocked repeatedly for a length of time, ie forget it in the safe, then the spring will weaken just enough to cause the light strike.

Pull the pins on the trigger assembly, pull the assembly out, then be careful when you push the spring pin out. Here's a pic...

[add info edit]

post-787-1253331219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sterling White

I have not checked but these springs should be available somewhere? Count the coils from the old one then trim to fit.

There are a couple of other threads that contains some good info for other mods to the X2:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...69663&st=25

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91532

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...7438&hl=SX3

[edit to add info]

Edited by Sterling White

I have not checked but these springs should be available somewhere? Count the coils from the old one then trim to fit.

There are a couple of other threads that contains some good info for other mods to the X2:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...69663&st=25

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91532

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...7438&hl=SX3

[edit to add info]

Oh, THAT spring. I can get one from Winchester: B111620001 HAMMER SPRING $1.25. I'll tell the story of the buck twenty-five fix repeatedly if this works. Thanks!