Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scales Location?

On 12/5/2016 at 0:11 PM, Sarge said:

What I do is drop ten charges like normal for avg but as a final step I put the shield on and it generally ticks up a 10th. I do it as a final check. When adjusting throw I don't use it. I just drop and weigh adjust drop weigh until it's what I'm looking for then drop 10 and pop the lid on.

Got it thx, guess we are all good! I'll mix up a batch and go chrono this weekend (I hope)

Cheers!

20 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Inside the gun cabinet, no breeze, no fluorescent interference. Don't use a cell phone while measuring, it could give you brain cancer, and you won't remember your load..... The piezo electrics are most sensitive to breeze, but not the Febreze. It only makes it smell better.

image37485.jpg

Yeah, but how do you fit in there too..?

4 hours ago, spencerhut said:

Mine is on a >100lb 2" thick 2'x2' marble slab, the slab sits on 1/2" foam pad. I am going to make a tall 2'x2' cabinet and screw it to the wall & floor for the scale when I get around to it. 

20161205_185659-001.jpg

That is a nice set up! Is that Styrofoam under it? 

13 hours ago, spencerhut said:

Thanks!

1/2" of memory foam 23"x23"

Ah ok, that makes sense. It looked like styrofoam which made me question if it would absorb vibrations as well as other foam. I guess it would not matter whether it was marble or granite, etc...

Thank again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 3:25 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Mine is plugged in all the time. A cheap little Lyman.

On the bench next to the press. Your bench is bolted to the wall, right? If not, do so immediately.

My bench weighs over 150lbs and is hell for stout. Lagging it into a stud at either end was still a revolution in press operation.

I agree--   Two lag screws on the back of the frame into the wall studs made a noticeable difference in the case loader operation on my 650.

I haven't noticed a problem with the scale where it sits in easy reach on the bench. As.Sarge said-- watch the air currents.  I do notice that the readout changes if I forget and leave the ceiling fan on med. or high.

Mine sits at eye level on heavy-duty wall mounted brackets with anti-vibration mounts and a glass/granite shelf, so it's completely isolated from the bench and presses.  

The brackets are designed for bus shelter seats, so they're good for quite a load.  The balance is a lab-grade force-restoration model.  I've never had issues with interference from lighting or phones etc, either with these lab balances or analytical balances, but maybe some models are more susceptible.  The white strip leading-in from the bottom-left corner of the image is a fluorescent light. 

VA2H7361.jpg

I used to have a Dillon digital scale, and it worked well as long as I accommodated two quirks.

the first was that the calibration would drift over the course of a reloading session

the second was that it was not sensitive to small additions such as using a powder trickler. You could trickle in powder and it wouldn't change, then suddenly jump 3/10 grain.

other than that, it ran for years until it got dropped. 

• 4 weeks later...