Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FYI: 124gr Xtreme & N320

uewpew

After trying a rainbow of coated bullets, i'm going with 124gr RN Xtreme Copper Plated seated to 1.125" over 4.25gr of N320.  No primer flattening, accuracy is good, 100% reliable after 300 rounds of matches & practice.  

Target distance only 7 yds, unsupported.

124grXtreme_N320.jpg

Edited by uewpew
verbage

To be totally honest, if you haven't shot a group at 20+ yards most of us are going to discount your "accuracy is good" statement.

Shooting a group of any kind at seven yards is largely irrelevant: My M&P's factory barrel used to shoot just fine at that distance. Only when you backed the target out to 25yds did you see the gun wouldn't shoot a group smaller than ten inches with ANY load using heavier bullets.

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

To be totally honest, if you haven't shot a group at 20+ yards most of us are going to discount your "accuracy is good" statement.

Thanks for the feedback.  I should have said "good enough for me"...because honestly i'm not entirely sure what group size constitutes "good" accuracy for a handgun...But your statement inspired me to head to the range today and see how it groups at 20+ yards (and to check powder temp sensitivity!).

Test Conditions:

• 34*F
  • Target at 26.6 yards
  • Chrono at 13 feet
  • Handgun supported with sandbag

Test Method:

• Fire 1 round
  • Record velocity
  • repeat 9 times
  • Walk to target and record POI

Test Results:

I did call one flyer left during the test (i'm assuming upper left).  The two lower left...certainly not me flinching...*cough*.  I wish i would have brought the spotting scope to see if the impact was walking up and left as barrel warmed up, or maybe my sight alignment & picture was that bad, or maybe that's just the accuracy of the load/gun.  I was pleased to see velocity only dropped about 10-20FPS (throwing out first round cold bore shot).

20161125_112038.jpg

20161125_111528.jpg

20161125_112501.jpg

124grXtreme_N320_34degF.jpg

Edited by uewpew

This looks very promising. The groups you posted are really nice for a pistol at almost 27 yards. Shooting for accuracy is a fine skill that really takes time to develop, so don't get too frustrate. You've already got your velocity, so try shooting a 5 shot group for accuracy.

If this was my gun and ammo, I'd try shooting off a sand bag in slow fire and really focus on the front sight and my follow-through. By follow through I mean slowly increase pressure on the trigger thinking: trigger, trigger, trigger, trigger - bang - trigger, trigger trigger and then slowly reset by releasing the trigger, that I just pinned to the rear of its travel, just far enough to reset the sear. Repeat four more times and see how it groups.