Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Fcd

gpo1956

I just installed a Lee FCD on my 550 in .45 ACP. The operation of the press is very very rough now. It has 2 or 3 distinct bumps in the cycle. So much so that it really makes the powder in the measure jump. I've backed the die out further than the instructions say and it is somewhat smoother, but it is still very rough operating. Is this normal or am I not adjusting it correctly?

Yep a little of this is normal, and is about the only complaint I have with the FCD.

I use One Shot on the cases and at the start of each loading session, I spray some on a Q-tip and coat the inside of both the sizing die and the FCD.

Also, Lee is notorious for sloppy (or non-existient) clean-up after production of the dies. Take it apart and make sure there are no burrs or shavings ('bout half my FCDs in various calibers came out of the box this way).

Don't back the die out too far - the crimp won't be right and the ammo may not function well.

Is One Shot a dry lube? I use some stuff called Top Cote which is a dry coat lubricant. I buy it from my tool supplier as a coating for my table saw blades to keep the pitch from building up on them.

I've wondered if this stuff would also be ok to use on my slides.