Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Lockup

ong45

How do you measure barrel lockup? Is it correct that this is the duration just before the barrel gets pulled down by the link ( and cycling action)?

Is there an ideal amount of lockup for all types of 1911's? what happens when you have less or more than the "ideal" amount?

thanks for any info

James

The discount way to measure lockup is with the depth-measuring end of your calipers-- measure from the top of the slide to the top of the barrel hood at the front, then retract the slide just enough to unlock the barrel and re-measure. The difference is the lockup or close to it. There are better/more accurate ways involving wax and such in the slide lugs. I'll let some of the smiths chime in if they want on the horrors of excess and insufficient lockup.

Flexmoney Posted Today, 02:02 PM

Sounds like you are asking about timing.

Ya i think you have the right term, my gunsmithing vocabulary consists of "hammer" and "big ass hammer" :P

benny hill Posted Today, 03:26 PM

The slide should go about .250 to the rear before the barrel starts to move down. Hope this is helpfull.

thanks benny, i will check the travel.

The reason i am curious is i have guns that seem to unlock right away and some that unlock a lot later, my major open gun unlocks later and i think it actually feels softer shooting. Perhaps keeping it locked up longer helps the comp work??

My steel gun unlocks right away and seems to work well too.

maybe i should put my hammer down and just shoot :)

James