Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Class Databank -- "error!" Message

The server hosting company is currently resolving a server problem, and the database went down during this process. I will be checking the system regularly tonite to make sure it it working properly, however, there may be temporary outages.

It's been a really interesting night on the server. I found a couple of strange problems:

(1) The server was hung when I tried to get on this morning - it responded to a "ping" but nothing else. I power cycled the box using the remote power strip control provided by our ISP and it came up.

(2) One file in the "mailman" subsystem was replaced with something completely different, which broke the mailing list system. I have no idea how this happened, and the file that replaced it would not convey any advantage to a hacker.

(3) A couple of the MySQL tables, including the classification table, had an internal problem with the key structure. The analysis and repair utility fixed this in short order, and I ran diagnostics on all other tables on the server just in case. This sort of problem can occur when a system is unexpectedly and uncleanly shut down.

I'm not sure what happened, but I'll be paying close attention to the server for a few days (it anything happens tomorrow AM, it will have to wait until about 2PM since I'm going to a match in the morning).

Most importantly, no credit card data is stored on, or transitions through, the USPSA.ORG server, so even if this was a hacker, our member's credit card numbers are not endangered.