Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G20/21 Sights On A G17/19

EricW

Anybody tried slapping a set of Trijicon G20 (high) sights on to a G17 or G19? Any clues on how much it raised the point of impact?

I'd like to get my guns set to where I'm not holding the dot on the middle of the plate at 25-35 yards.

(And no, I'm not interested in messing with anybody's adjustable sights. I don't care what they are or who makes them. Thanks.)

(And no, I cannot remove material from my existing front sight. Thanks for inquiring.)

(And no, I am not shooting wussy ammo. My 9mm makes 140 PF out of my G19. Thanks for asking.)

Flex,

If you put a higher/taller rear sight, you'll raise the point of impact.

If you put a higher/taller front sight, you'll lower point of impact.

If you put higher/taller front and rear sights, the point of impact will probably won't change much.

Flex,

They're supposed to be taller in the rear, or so the guy from Trijicon claimed. It all may be academic as I really like serrated fronts, so I might buy a set of Heinies. Hopefully those will raise the POI a bit.

Heinie's --- as I recall, a bunch of cops I used to shoot with, needed to order taller front sights from Heinie for their G-19s. (They were seeing POI below POA with the front sight that shipped with the Heinie set from Brownell's.) You might wish to call Heinie direct and discuss the matter --- I highly recommend their sights.....

Heinie's --- as I recall, a bunch of cops I used to shoot with, needed to order taller front sights from Heinie for their G-19s.  (They were seeing POI below POA with the front sight that shipped with the Heinie set from Brownell's.)  You might wish to call Heinie direct and discuss the matter --- I highly recommend their sights.....

I talked to Heinie. I had my CC out and was ready to order, but their system makes no sense at all to me. Their sights are set up (at least this is what they claim) to put POI at the center of the "dot" on the straight eights. Then they sell TALLER fronts, which according to my understanding of the geometry LOWERS the POI further.

I'm just at a total loss. I don't get it. I'm ready to just say f*** it all and have Bomars melted in. I hate having a different POI between my STI and my Glock. Most of all, I'm sick of sighting systems designed by tactibillies. I want to SEE what the *^%$ I'm shooting at, you stupid mall ninjas! :angry:

I don't know if this helps...

Jenny's G20 wears night sights that say TRU DOT on the rear sight, and MH3 on the front sight.

Rear sight's top is 0.195 above the slide top.

The highest point of the front sight (it has some slope, such that the aft portion is higher) is 0.170

-----------------

I have a G19 handy. It is wearing what appears to be Novak night sights (bar-dot).

Rear height (kinda hard to get a good measurement) seems to be about 0.195 high.

Front is 0.150 high.

------------------

G17 with Novak rear night sight (bar).

Same 0.195 height.

The front on this is also from Novak, but they use a Trijicon stamped sight.

This one comes in at 0.185 high.

I KNOW this gun hits "behind the dot", not pumpkin on the post (just like a regular Glock). The two above, I am not sure of...

--------------------

My G35 wears Heinie Slant Pros...

Rear = 0.260

Front = 0.217

This gun hits pumkin on the post, BUT I am pretty sure that the fit of KKM barrel that rides in it is a factor. (My point of impact rises quite a bit every 5 yards. My barrel has a lot of slope to it's fit.)

The info below is in the FAQ's at 1911forum.com:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=9223

From Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks IV;

To determine the correct sight height to correct an elevation problem, multiply the sight radius, in decimals by the elevation error and then divide the results by the distance to the target, in inches.

Sight radius 5 3/4" = 5.75

Shooting 5 inches low

Distance to target 25 feet or 300 inches

(5.75*5)/300 = .095833333.................3

The front sight would have to be lowered .096 or the rear sight raised that amount (or a combination there of) to raise the point of impact.

Flex, once again, you are THE MAN. That is some serious info. :o

I just got back from visiting my gunsmith. He says Heinies shoot pumpkin on post and thought I was a total moron for even asking the question. :P So, I'll buy some Slant Pro's and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Eric, how did your sight purchase go? Did you get the Heinies? A little different gun, but I shoot Dawson adjustables on one G34 (yes, I read that you are not interested in adjustables) and AmeriGlo Slopes on the other G34. The G34 with the AmeriGlo sights required that I get the higher rear sight to make it shoot to poa with a center hold. When you say "pumpkin on a stick" I think of classic target sight picture = 6 O'clock hold. You use a 6 o'clock hold to shoot USPSA? Just currious that's all.

I am in the process of replacing the AmeriGlo's. Even though they are solid and very bright night sights, I shoot more accurately with the Dawson's. The thinner front blade seems to be more condusive to accurate shot placement for me. I'll start a different thread on those sight replacements, but was interested in your findings with the Heinies. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A used pair if Trij. rears measure .254 & .270" overall height for either the 20/21 or 17 etc. May differ slghtly from new as have been in and out of several slides.

FWIW, Heinie's front is about .216. He sells both a .235 and a .250 {or used to?} to correct POI for 19,22,34 & 35 which he claims may shoot 2 1/2 to 3" high. According to his copy the .235 changes the impact ca. 2", the .250 ca. 3". Someone must have been pulling your... there as changes listed are for both black and trit. fronts.

I had the best group experience the other day.

I change from shootimg N310 with the zero 125 JHP to N350. Mt group size shrank by HALF. from about 3.5" at 25 yards to under 2 " I was astounded.

The load has a little more bang and felt recoil but man it shoot great.