Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will it light?

fischeac

3 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I load on a 650. I can dimple primers. I also have a roller bearing on my press so I don't have the wobble. Maybe that's why. I can straight flatten primers at times if I'm not paying attention and the pocket is a bit tight. 

Maybe I need to check for some wear in the priming system then. I'm running a bearing on the shellplate as well, but can't dimple the face of a primer by any means.

One caution, I had some strike issues, once upon a time and it was due to shallow primers. Next batch was DEEP...and dented and in fact WORSE as some were crushed and wouldn't go off at all.   taking apart 1000+ rounds is no longer on my bucket list. Too high is bad... crushed is worse. Those were wolf primers.

Primer compound doesn't attract moisture (just look at how primers are packaged for proof of this). Primers have to be soaking wet to not fire but if you let them dry out again they'll usually work fine. The cautions about keeping primers away from moisture and high humidity has more to do with the eventual degradation of the metal parts of the primer than the explosive.

If the primer is seated too deeply and the cup is deformed enough to squeeze the primer mixture from between the cup and the anvil or (in extreme cases) the anvil is dislodged from its seat, then you'll get failures to ignite.