Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge Trigger Problem

tanfoglio1911

Need help from someone who can explain me if what is wrong with the trigger system of my STI. During live fire, the trigger seems lock and or maybe did not reset after each shot that Im having difficulty pulling the trigger on my next round. When dri firing, this issue does not occur and it seems nothing wrong with the trigger system. Trigger is soft and you can feel the reset. 

I tried to adjust the over travel screw while having this issue but that did not fix the problem. 

Not sure if I need to replace the ignition component of this gun or if there is just a part that need to be replace.

I can't tell how old this gun was or there is already a wear and tear in the component since I bought this gun used.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Edited by tanfoglio1911

Take the grip safety off and see what is going on in there when it happens.

If the trigger moves in and out but nothing happens the disconnector likely hasn't reset. Investigate why it isn't being pushed forward by the sear spring. Something may be catching or there isn't enough pressure on the middle leg of the sear spring.

If the trigger is hard to pull/doesn't move the hammer may have fallen to half cock. If this happens you need to put more pressure on the left sear leg and/or have the sear and hammer engagement looked at.

Take the grip safety off and see what is going on in there when it happens.

If the trigger moves in and out but nothing happens the disconnector likely hasn't reset. Investigate why it isn't being pushed forward by the sear spring. Something may be catching or there isn't enough pressure on the middle leg of the sear spring.

If the trigger is hard to pull/doesn't move the hammer may have fallen to half cock. If this happens you need to put more pressure on the left sear leg and/or have the sear and hammer engagement looked at.

I noticed this while playing with the hammer a while ago. While pulling the trigger and gently guiding the hammer to move forward, sometimes its stays at half cock and I cant pull the trigger. Do I need to push the left sear leg forward to add more pressure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

No that isn't the springs fault.  Sounds like you dont have enough overtravel. 

You shouldn't be able to feel the hammer and sear rub when holding the trigger in and moving the hammer back and forth manually. 

Sorry that you misunderstood what I was trying to explain. As I was pulling the trigger, I was guiding the hammer to move forward to strike the firing pin but there were some part of the cycle that the hammer will stay half cock. I tried to switch the sear, sear spring and disconnector to my open gun and it has the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tanfoglio1911 said:

Yes I do a lot of dri fire w/o the mags 

That could be why your trigger functions while dry firing (no mag).  Mark your mags and you may see that the problem is only with certain mags...  Note the front to back dimensions, 1.360"...

Edited by kamikaze1a