Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long slide versus compensator

AbitNutz

I'm not exactly sure how to post this question...

All things being equal, on a higher pressure cartridge, like a 45 Super. Do you think that a ported (Magnaport) long slide 1911 is more/less reliable than the same bottom end but now with a standard length slide but with a compensator? Which system do you think is more effective/less muzzle flip? 

The reason I ask is that I am having a lot better luck/reliability with a Para hi-cap long slide that I put together than several comped guns I have. Is it just me? Or are comped guns more difficult to get right? 

If, for whatever reason, the ported long slide is more reliable, how do you think it compares with a comped gun as far as overall performance? Velocity? Muzzle flip? Weight? I'm not sure what else...

With barrels of equal length, the ported barrel will have reduced velocity.

The effectiveness of ports depends on how many there are and where they are located. The effectiveness of a compensator depends on how many chambers (and probably their size).

You might find this article of interest: http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/recoil-reduction-ports-vs-compensator/

It's true, in barrels of equal length the ported barrel will be down a little on velocity. However, the comped gun will need to be longer, no? If you have a 6" barreled long slide with ports, wouldn't it be the same length, more or less, as a 5" barreled pistol plus the comp? The comp does't add any velocity, right? So at this point, we're actually comparing the velocities of a 5" comped barrel to that of a 6" ported barrel. 

So in reality, in total length, when comparing a comped barrel/slide and a ported barrel/slide the length and velocity should be a wash, yes?...I hope I'm explaining myself well enough. The truth is though that a 6" ported barrel as done by Mag-Na-Port, will actually have greater velocity than a 5" comped barrel by an average of about 55 fps. At least that's how the two pistols I have compare at across my LabRadar. 

It's looking to me like the comped gun has a bit less muzzle flip but the long slide seems to be more reliable and isn't as picky about ammo...at least that's what I'm running into. 

What caliber are the comped guns you've shot in the past that you're referring to?

A 45 caliber comped gun is a different animal than a 9mm/38 caliber comped gun.  The 45, shooting those big, heavy bullets, generates a stronger recoil impulse than the mid-caliber guns. I have a 45 comped top end with a 3-chamber comp and it's easy to get it to run compared to a 38 super.

Assuming your load makes enough gas to properly work everything,  poppels make the gun shoot flatter and a multi-chambered comp make the gun shoot softer.  You can also combine them, but you need more gas to work both to the max.  I prefer a combination of the two.  That being said, if your comp design and load match, you can get a dead flat shooting gun using a comp only.  If you are only going to do one for 45Super, do the comp.