Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help with 44 special load

tedbeau

As I posted in another thread, I won a Charter Arms bulldog in 44 special so I am looking to do some reloading. I have found a few load data specs but most of them tend to be on the higher power end for hunting. Since I just want to plink with it and maybe use it in IDPA local bug matches I am looking to be at a 130 PF.  Also since my club doesn't allow plain lead bullets at our indoor range I would like to be using plated or jacketed bullets.

Xtreme makes 200 and 240 grain plated.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/44-s/48047.htm

Since the gun is pretty light and I tend to hold to the theory that heavier equals less perceived recoil I am leaning towards the 240 grains. If I want a 130-135 PF with 240 grain bullets I would only need to make 541 to 562 FPS. My concern is is that to slow and would I be risking sticking a bullet in the barrel?

Even using the 200 grain bullets I would be looking at 650 to 675 FPS. This at least seems reasonable

Does anyone have an idea of what realistically is the slowest speed you should use for plated bullets.

Also anyone that has any actually experience with low end 44 special loads I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks

A 200 grain bullet at 650 fps makes 130 PF. You should have no problems with a plated bullet sticking in the barrel with that load, and it should be easy to get with 231/HP38, or equivalent speed powders.