Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to move on from the G34?

rogerwilco

Not sure if the OP is even still looking at this thread, but I'll throw my experience in.

When I first got hired as a LEO, I was able to carry whatever I wanted. I, of course, started with my 1911 even though the knowledgeable guys said go with Glock because it's a better work gun. I tried the Glock, but didn't like it for the same reasons as you: it didn't feel comfortable in my hand and didn't point as naturally for me. In retrospect, I see that this was only because I had been shooting my 1911 for years. Fast forward to today after years of trial and error....I carry a Glock.

I left the 1911 because I got tired of seeing such a beautiful gun get scratched up all day and truly saw the advantage of having more ammo and less reloads in a gunfight. I still didn't want to like the Glock, so I went to a Sig P226 for a short while before I decided it wasn't worth the extensive amount of training time to learn two different trigger pulls (I now also know better). I tried a few others (Not to the point where I actually carried them on duty) but finally decided I'd try the Glock. I decided to take my new G35 with me to a week long training class I was going to. Suddenly, after training hard with it, I didn't think it felt like crap in my hands. It also pointed naturally for me. The added benefit I found was that I can still shoot my 1911, and now 2011, just fine.

Now, I realize my reasoning for going to the Glock was based on completely different criteria than yours, but I believe it can be an excellent weapon system and can be fairly easily learned. I can't necessarily discourage anyone from going out and finding something they like better because this is America and I realize that just because it worked for me doesn't make it true for everyone. However, I do believe that more time spent shooting and training with the Glock will pay off in the future to a high degree. I think the grip on the Glock is one of those things that makes you appreciate everything else that much more. If you learn to shoot well with it, especially when you don't initially like it, everything else is gravy.

Edited by mwinter501
grammer

Like others have said, practice practice practice. I started in 3-gun with an FNX-9. Went to a M&P 40L within a few matches, and to a G17L soon after. The very next season, I bought 3 2011s and shot them in various disciplines for 3 years. I've since had 2 kids and prefer to stay home over shooting every weekend, so I've downsized to a G34. I've practiced enough and competed enough at this point that the Glock isn't holding me back. I shoot it just as well as I did $4k custom 2011s. I wasted a lot of time and money chasing the dragon, when all I needed was practice and experience with one platform. 

Like others have said, practice practice practice. I started in 3-gun with an FNX-9. Went to a M&P 40L within a few matches, and to a G17L soon after. The very next season, I bought 3 2011s and shot them in various disciplines for 3 years. I've since had 2 kids and prefer to stay home over shooting every weekend, so I've downsized to a G34. I've practiced enough and competed enough at this point that the Glock isn't holding me back. I shoot it just as well as I did $4k custom 2011s. I wasted a lot of time and money chasing the dragon, when all I needed was practice and experience with one platform. 

This is good for me to hear. I know that getting a nice 2011 won't make me a better shooter over my G34, but I really want one! Haha wife and I are talking about starting a family soon and I don't think shooting every other weekend will be in the picture much longer. Wise thoughts sir. Thank you.

When I started couldn't warm up to the Glock feel either. Plus, when shooting 34 next to M&P Pro, not only did M&P feel and point better, the recoil impulse was less as well.

Fast forward 6 years or so, and after shooting a variety of guns in competition, I finally broke down and bought a 34, cause doesn't everyone have to own a Glock at some point?

After taking a top shelf shooting class, and now better understanding grip mechanics, the Glock may not seem as comfortable during dry fire or initially shooting, and you do have to roll hands further forward, but that also locks the wrists better. Difference is with Glock it's necessary and with some other brands it some getting use to because you are now so far up the slide on the support hand it seems unnatural at first.

Get some training from a good instructor and like me you might find when you improve some of the other factors the results improve and before long you forget the Glock wasn't initially the most comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me as though simpler pistols get out of the way easier. That is, they allow the shooting to occur and demand that less conscious attention to be directed at themselves. If one accepts this, then Glocks (and similar pistols) are good choices for beginning competitors.

When I first tried a Glock, I found the trigger and grip to be objectionable. However, it didn't take much effort for that to fade away. I would encourage the original poster to give whatever he has a try. I'd also encourage him to give this forum a try. It really is the best USPSA forum.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, mwinter501 said:

Not sure if the OP is even still looking at this thread, but I'll throw my experience in.

When I first got hired as a LEO, I was able to carry whatever I wanted. I, of course, started with my 1911 even though the knowledgeable guys said go with Glock because it's a better work gun. I tried the Glock, but didn't like it for the same reasons as you: it didn't feel comfortable in my hand and didn't point as naturally for me. In retrospect, I see that this was only because I had been shooting my 1911 for years. Fast forward to today after years of trial and error....I carry a Glock.

I left the 1911 because I got tired of seeing such a beautiful gun get scratched up all day and truly saw the advantage of having more ammo and less reloads in a gunfight. I still didn't want to like the Glock, so I went to a Sig P226 for a short while before I decided it wasn't worth the extensive amount of training time to learn two different trigger pulls (I now also know better). I tried a few others (Not to the point where I actually carried them on duty) but finally decided I'd try the Glock. I decided to take my new G35 with me to a week long training class I was going to. Suddenly, after training hard with it, I didn't think it felt like crap in my hands. It also pointed naturally for me. The added benefit I found was that I can still shoot my 1911, and now 2011, just fine.

Now, I realize my reasoning for going to the Glock was based on completely different criteria than yours, but I believe it can be an excellent weapon system and can be fairly easily learned. I can't necessarily discourage anyone from going out and finding something they like better because this is America and I realize that just because it worked for me doesn't make it true for everyone. However, I do believe that more time spent shooting and training with the Glock will pay off in the future to a high degree. I think the grip on the Glock is one of those things that makes you appreciate everything else that much more. If you learn to shoot well with it, especially when you don't initially like it, everything else is gravy.

My experience is similar to yours.  I can carry pretty much whatever handgun I want at work.  For years I carried custom 1911s and I still carry a single stack Infinity once in a while.  But as you noted, will all of the daily wear and tear that comes with a daily carry, duty gun, I started to appreciate a $600 Glock vs. the $4k custom 1911.  For me however, no matter how much I shoot a Glock, (which I always install a ZEV trigger and better sights), I can never come close to shooting them as accurately as I can a good 1911.  I just don't think it's mechanically possible.

Like I said, I can carry anything I want and 99% of them time I carry a G34.  Not because it's better than a 1911, but in my opinion, they just make more sense for a duty gun.  As for competition, I need every advantage I can get, so Infinity 1911s for me......

• 1 month later...

Tanfolgio! I had the same issue. I shot a G34 for the first year, I was happy with where I had the trigger (for a glock) and had dawson sights but I just couldn't get use to the feel. Time to move on and I am glad I did. Not bagging on glocks, obviously there are more glocks being used in production than every other manufacture here in the US. 

I started with a G17, moved on to a G34, and then went on to a Tanfoglio Stock 2. I could notice a difference in my split times and tracking the sight during quicker strings. That being said with a good grip the difference isn't as dramatic as many believe it is. Many people, myself included, get caught up in trying to solve issues or seek better performance by changing our equipment . When in reality we could all look in mirror to find what needs the most work. 

Edited by rootacres