Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Winchester large rifle primers

GetAwayDriva

Anyone having problems with Winchester large rifle primers leaking?  I thought my trouble was my brass and my primers seating crooked.  But after buying some once fired prepped brass and hand seating the primers, I am still getting leaking primers.  They ruined my first bolt in my dpms 308.  So we got some once fired prepped brass, thought we had the problem solved.  I put in a brand new JP bolt in my rifle and got three more leaking primers today and pits in my brand new bolt face.   So I am thinks big we have a bad lot of primers and was wondering if anyone else noticed the same?

I have pitting on two 1911 bolt faces caused my Winchester large pistol primers. They must be aware of it because there was no hassle with them. They had me send in the primers I'd recovered that leaked, all my invited primers. They cut me a check. It seemed like they were even willing to pay for fixing the guns but Springfield custom shop said he wouldn't bother replacing the slides, he'd just bush the breech face but that was a long way off. I felt Winchester was square. 

I I had a thread on here about it you should be able to find. 

Red

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is your load?  Are you using Federal brass?  Has the brass been fired a few times and or were the primers easy to seat?  Loads that are too light will generate enough pressure to seal the primer.  Primer pockets open up after a few firings.  Federal brass is very soft and can cause problems. 

These are .270WSM hunting loads with IMR4350 behind a 130 gr. Nosler in Winchester brass.  I am not  near my reloading room at the moment so I can't give the exact charge, but they are stout.

Since that original post, I have been in contact with Winchester (OLIN) and that have just  shipped me a carton with instructions to put remaining primers in and return to them.  They advised they  will also put up the bolt, not  sure yet what they plan to do with that.  I will keep ya'll posted with the outcome.

Mike