Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite DF drills to work on movement

ArrDave

Had a chance to try Call it and Leave it last night and realized my set ups are not the greatest, I want to hit this in dryfire over the next two weeks, aside from the Quick Step/Position Entry drills from the Ben book, what are some of your favorite DF drills to work on position entry?

You know those tri-folding decorative Japanese screens? Two of them side by side make a six foot long wall, which is just long enough to work on an explosive exit and a smooth entry.

Or two rooms in a hallway close together with one easy target (close paper) or one hard target (mini popper at simulated 20y) at each end.

I find going back and forth three or four times to be much MUCH more helpful than just doing it once and resetting for another pass.

These make for the fastest, most versatile walls ever:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-3-Panel-Natural-Fiber-Room-Divider-in-Natural-Finish-R531/202977619?cm_mmc=SEM%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-Base-BT3-PLA%7C&gclid=CL_q9eKnq84CFUUcaQoddwAKgw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just took a Ben class and now started focused movement drills. Still a newbee, but we were instructed to aim at the target BEFORE it was visible. Then as soon as it was revealed, it would be real close to a good sight picture and shooting could start sooner while still settling into position.

The other thing was smoother entry to minimize sight disturbance. Then simply learning to start leaving while still firing. I totally suck at that now as it's mentally difficult to stay focused on those last shots and get the lard moving all w/o disturbing accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of these to use as an indoor dry fire wall: https://amzn.com/B00E6GRHBO

It's adjustable from 5 to 10 feet long, and it collapses and fits into a small carrying case.  It takes a couple of minutes to set up, but I live in a small place, and I needed something that didn't take up much space when not being used.

I clamp 24" wide snow fencing to it with these: https://amzn.com/B004AZ38Z0

I have different pieces of snow fencing depending on if I want the wall to be solid or if I want ports.

On each end of the wall, I'll set up a 2-3 target array with varying shot difficulties, and I'll run back and forth shooting each end over a set par time.

I'll vary the difficulty of the target I'm entering on, and whether I'm entering on the inner or outer target.

I also use this same setup to practice exits.

I use a SIRT and LASR software, so it's easy to track my shot-to-shot times between positions.

Edited by FTDMFR

I started with doing the 'baby steps stammer' short choppy for short burst with my support hand wrenching the gun and keeping it high and ready to point. Then augment it with shuffles and far-foot in box first and support hand open but under trigger guard. 
I can tell you this as a guide to efficiency and thus speed--- The height you move into is the height you stay. Dont stand up, be athletic about it, bend the knees , get your heels up, etc.....