Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May 2005

Due to popular demand, this month's Win a Book contest is Movie Quote Trivia. Below are ten quotes, from 12 different actors/actresses. In order to "get" the quote, you must correctly identify both the performer(s) and the movie. (Example answer: Robin Williams, One Hour Photo). There's really no rhyme or reason to my choice of quotes, aside from the fact that all these lines impressed me in some way, struck me as dramatic or funny....memorable. They stuck in my mind.

A few hints, since I know you guys like that sort of stuff: we have here one movie quote from the 1960s, two from the 1970s, then we skip ahead with six from the 1990s, and one from the 21st Century. There are 11 actors, but only one actress (but what an actress she is). These are all films that had major North American releases, with the exception of one British comedy and one direct-to-video (that was even better than the first movie in the series, in my opinion).

Here goes:

1. "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."

2. "Well, whatever it is, he should clean up this city here, because this city here is like an open sewer, y'know, it's full of filth and scum. Sometimes I can hardly take it. Whoever becomes the president should just really clean it up, know what I mean? Sometimes I go out and I smell it, I get headaches, it's so bad, y'know. It's like - they never go away."

3. "The one thing that bothered me, the one thing that stayed in my mind and I couldn't get rid of it, that haunted me, was why? Why would she lie? What would her motive be for lying? If my client is innocent, she's lying. Why? Was it blackmail? No. Was it jealousy? No. Yesterday, I found out why. She doesn't have a motive. You know why? Because she's not lying."

4. "Well, when the radios went out, I decided to return to the refinery. But en route, I find I'm in an ambush situation. Must have been a couple of dozen of these things! I dropped the first wave with semiauto fire but they just kept coming. Sheer luck, most of 'em were in front of the truck, so I just popped it into six-wheel and ran 'em down. The ones that got on board, I handled with a combination of small arms fire and hand-to-hand techniques. I am completely out of ammo....that's never happened to me before."

5. "I know you. You love the having the power of God at your fingertips."

6. "Oh, I get it. I get it! Not Cinderella. Little Red Riding Hood now. Whatever kinky game you want to play, I am in."

7. "Excuse me, I know this sounds like a line from Top Gun or something, but..."

"No, we don't know each other from somewhere."

"Are you sure? It's uncanny..."

"Look, just forget it. Okay?"

8. "Let me squash the rumors now. These two are not heroes. They're just two ordinary men who were put in an extraordinary situation, and they just happened to come out on top."

9. "See, Mac, I've been getting this little Yoko vibe, like all of a sudden your girlfriend's the one in control."

10. "You should quit smoking. You're pregnant, and you smoke like a bastard."

"I'm trying to quit."

"Well, it's not working."

"I smoke more when I'm unhappy."

"Nobody's that unhappy."

1. "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." Adam West, Batman.

2. "Well, whatever it is, he should clean up this city here, because this city here is like an open sewer, y'know, it's full of filth and scum. Sometimes I can hardly take it. Whoever becomes the president should just really clean it up, know what I mean? Sometimes I go out and I smell it, I get headaches, it's so bad, y'know. It's like - they never go away." Robert De Niro, Taxi Driver.

3. "The one thing that bothered me, the one thing that stayed in my mind and I couldn't get rid of it, that haunted me, was why? Why would she lie? What would her motive be for lying? If my client is innocent, she's lying. Why? Was it blackmail? No. Was it jealousy? No. Yesterday, I found out why. She doesn't have a motive. You know why? Because she's not lying." Al Pacino, ...And Justice for All.

4. "Well, when the radios went out, I decided to return to the refinery. But en route, I find I'm in an ambush situation. Must have been a couple of dozen of these things! I dropped the first wave with semiauto fire but they just kept coming. Sheer luck, most of 'em were in front of the truck, so I just popped it into six-wheel and ran 'em down. The ones that got on board, I handled with a combination of small arms fire and hand-to-hand techniques. I am completely out of ammo....that's never happened to me before." Michael Gross, Tremors II: Aftershocks.

5. "I know you. You love the having the power of God at your fingertips." Christian Slater, Broken Arrow.

6. "Oh, I get it. I get it! Not Cinderella. Little Red Riding Hood now. Whatever kinky game you want to play, I am in." Tom Everett Scott, An American Werewolf in Paris.

7. "Excuse me, I know this sounds like a line from Top Gun or something, but..."

"No, we don't know each other from somewhere."

"Are you sure? It's uncanny..."

"Look, just forget it. Okay?" Steven Mackintosh and Rupert Graves, Different for Girls.

8. "Let me squash the rumors now. These two are not heroes. They're just two ordinary men who were put in an extraordinary situation, and they just happened to come out on top." Willem Dafoe, The Boondock Saints.

9. "See, Mac, I've been getting this little Yoko vibe, like all of a sudden your girlfriend's the one in control." Ving Rhames, Entrapment.

10. "You should quit smoking. You're pregnant, and you smoke like a bastard."

"I'm trying to quit."

"Well, it's not working."

"I smoke more when I'm unhappy."

"Nobody's that unhappy." Ben Chaplin and Nicole Kidman, Bithday Girl.

Thank you google!

1. Batman, er...Adam West.

2. Robert DiNero, Taxi Driver

3. Everything is Out of Order, Al Pacino

4. Michael Gross, Tremors 2

5. Christian Slater, Broken Arrow.

6. An American Werewolf in Paris, Tom Everett Scott

7. Different for Girls, Rupert Graves and Steven Mackintosh

8. Willem Dafoe, The Boondock Saints.

9. Ving Rhames, Entrapment.

10. Ben Chaplin and Nicole Kidman, Bithday Girl

How'd I do?

Joel

That's assuming I even got them right. If Google was out of scope, then this one would truly have been extraordinarily difficult.

On the other hand, Google wasn't ruled out in the post so I gamed it :ph34r:

Took quite a while to dig 'em up and on a few I guessed on the names of the actor(s).

Thanks! I think.

Joel

Actually, I don't care how you get the answers as long as you get them. (Though I have to admit, this month's been so easy for some people I just might have to reinstitute the "no search engines" rule next month - either that, or I'll have to be much more obscure next month). By the way, no one has gotten all ten correct yet.