Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner

hildy19

Hi Power Jack

I don't disagree with you one bit, that's for reading and editing. :)

Rick T 2100 rounds per pound of TG at 3.3g/round An 8 pound keg will yield 16k rounds thanks.

16,969 rounds actually ;)

Well sounds like I've got some more reading to do. And then bring out the wallet... Yikes haha

I've been able to pour over numerous posts on the forum over the last few days(possibly while "working", which can't be proven). I'm getting excited to start on this new journey.

My fiancé shoots but has not shown a desire to shoot competitively. So my biggest task will be explaining the prices of the items that'll be showing up.... Haha

Thanks for al the replies

Edited by hildy19

The best thing with the better half is to not try too hard to sell the thing. I'm one of those who (on this and other forums) makes the case for spending more than the minimum but there are ways to do this on a tight budget. Brand loyalty is fierce in this hobby. My youngest kid is 22 years old and at this point we have some extra money to spend on ourselves and of course extra time. But it hasn't always been that way. For years the only shooting I could do was "backyard" trap with a Remington 870 express 12 ga.pump shotgun. We simply didn't have the cash to spend on these things.

Lots of people, myself included, make claims that are not in touch with reality and/or give advice that is not universal or accurate with respect to handloading. I've put together well over 25k pistol rounds and have sent at least 20k down range but what works for me and in my guns might give you fits. In handloader terms I'm still a beginner.

In the area of reloading for rifle there are many books and resources that have detailed information on putting together very accurate ammo, I haven't found anything like that for pistol but there has to be certain guidelines that when followed yield exceptional ammo. But as far as presses go, entry level or top of the line, either one will make good ammo, paying attention to the details is what matters most. The biggest consideration is that more money generally gives the operator more speed.

But the whole time I was reloading on a single stage, then a turret press, I pined for a progressive. It takes forever to make pistol ammo on these kinds of presses. Even if you have the time it is still quite labor intensive and time consuming.

Edited by firewood