Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New loader 9mm CZ Steel Challenge load advice

Timido

I have been reading and shopping. I picked up some Titegroup powder and CCi primers. I have a CZ Standard shadow. I am looking for Advice on a low recoil load with the tire group and my CZ. Also what Bullet diameter and profile works best with the CZ? I have been looking at X-treme coated bullets and there are many options. I don't need to meet any PF right now. Looking for advice Thanks Tim

With no power factor you want to use light bullets 100-115gn and to get the lightest recoil load use fast burning powder. I use 115 Blue Bullets with 3.4gn N310 @ 1.140 in my CZ Shadow

Edited by CZ85Combat

You may need a lighter weight recoil spring, but I have used 100gr ibejiheads SWC over 3.5gr of titegroup for steel challenge out of my XDM 5.25. Almost no recoil and still very accurate.

Definitely plan to respring the gun.

As the others have said, a midrange or lower end load under a 115gr or lighter bullet is probably going to meet your needs. The keys are cycling the gun reliably and attaining sufficient accuracy.

Many powders get fairly filthy at the bottom end of their charge weight - they don't burnt as cleanly / totally and leave significant fouling behind. Something to keep in mind.

Using a very fast powder will help with this. Since their max load barely makes minor, 115 or so PF is closer to the book range than, say, trying to use Power Pistol or HS-6 for this task.

I ordered some Bayou Bullets in 124 and 160 to play with as I am going to try to make some minor loads also. Some of our side matches actually have to knock down steel also. I am looking for a 550 dillon as my first press. Thanks for that advice with the lighter loads. I think experimenting with different loads will definitely be in the future.