Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Killing personal match management links.

Anyone who uses, the practiscore website has run into this issue. Someone after you transfer the match to your master device makes a change to their entry. A change they believe is made correctly. Then as often happens after scores are posted this yahoo emails you and says, "I switched last night to another division". You have me down for old division when I actually shot another division. Ugh!

This happens when a shooter visits their personal match management link after you have downloaded the match from the web to the master. Everything looks good on the shooters end so nothing gets said to the persons working the tablets.
We have listed end times or closed times but as you know no one listens, cares, or reads any of that. Over the past few months after the official registration closed time, I have been cloning the entire match (all 3 check boxes) and then deleted the original match. This breaks the links to the shooters personal match management links. Forcing them to notify staff of any changes. The only difference I can see from the original match to the cloned match is the shooters registration numbers are no longer sort-able. No big deal as the number is of little use to me. Everything else looks to be preserved in including fees paid, comped, or staff.

My only question is, is there a better way to disable the personal match management links without deleting the match?

Edited by Ty Hamby

I have a very large match coming up and will be closing registration a month prior to the match to get trophy's and awards ordered. The MD does not want shooters jumping around and messing with awards. The match is sold out so he wants everyone locked into their division early. I will be using this same technique of cloning and deleting to accomplish what I need unless someone has a better way.

Yes, not having the ability as a MD to lock the match down so competitors can't change division and/or squad is a must have.

I like you have looked at all conceivable means to lock the match, but nothing works.

Deleting the match works. It is what I have been doing. (after I clone it for record keeping of course).

I hope a feature gets added. I would also like the ability to target email based on a custom field from the registrations form. In the mean time I am just grateful for what we have. This is way better than the spreadsheets of old.

Really? You won't let a competitor change divisions on match day? Wow.......

At a Level II or higher match I'd rather they don't, as for one thing, plaques have been ordered for the various division passed on number of competitors in each class. People start changing divisions and now you potentially have plaques you can't award, not enough competitors in that class/division combo and/or missing plaques as you now have enough competitors in a class/division combo.

There are other things that come up when competitors start changing divisions last minute, that cause extra work for an already over worked staff.

As for local matches, I have no problem with folks changing the morning of the match, but at check-in that morning, I do expect them to inform the staff of the change.

Edited by jdphotoguy

OK -- I guess i was spoiled by having Linda Chico run registration for the bulk of majors I attended. Then again, they didn't order plaques until the match was over, and mailed them out -- with the winners names on the plaques.....

Small topic diversion...

When I show up to a match, there is usually a registration process that at the very least includes having me confirm division and categories. Competitors are not allowed to change divisions after the match starts. If you have an effective registration process, you shouldn't have problems with the scoring issue listed in the opening post. This won't solve the issue with closing practiscore registration... but it should solve the scoring problem you noted.