Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking the 180 (Almost)

JOThompson

I recently shot a USPSA stage that involved running to a table, retrieving gun, and then running to another location to obtain magazines. I was running at such a fast pace that when I picked up my Glock from my table, my forward momentum caused me to whip the gun almost behind me. Didn't break the 180 but close.

Realizing that you've lost muzzle control means you still have muzzle control. Most of the 180 breaks I see are shooters reloading when facing their weak side direction, and they literally have no idea. Its that loss of muzzle awareness because they are going thru the physical motions without conscious thought and awareness.

Its important to practice reloading while moving weak side direction, and also doing up range runs while keeping the gun down range.

I have intentionally taken near right at 180 degree shots before.... there is nothing wrong with it. But I was completely aware of what I was doing the whole time, and usually point out to the RO what my intentions are before hand, so he is aware of the exact point at which I'd actually break the 180 as opposed to where I'm taking the shot from. There is no "almost" breaking the 180... You either do or you don't.

Also as an RO, I've been on the muzzle end of a 180 break before and there is nothing cool about it.

Here is the rule as the book states:

"10.5.2 If at any time during the course of fire, a competitor allows the muzzle of his handgun to point rearwards, that is further than 90 degrees from the median intercept of the backstop, or in the case of no backstop, allows the muzzle to point up range, whether the handgun is loaded or not (limited exceptions: 10.5.6). "

My first (and only) Nat'ls - first COF - a M on my squad was DQ'd for breaking

the vertical 180 - backing up and reloading, he pointed the pistol further

back than the 90 degrees up -

Scared the crap out of this new B shooter (at that time) and I went at least

10% slower for the next 5-6 COF's because of it -

I didn't want to fly to Las Vegas and spend a week with my wife, and be DQ'd ...

• 2 weeks later...

My first (and only) Nat'ls - first COF - a M on my squad was DQ'd for breaking

the vertical 180 - backing up and reloading, he pointed the pistol further

back than the 90 degrees up -

Scared the crap out of this new B shooter (at that time) and I went at least

10% slower for the next 5-6 COF's because of it -

I didn't want to fly to Las Vegas and spend a week with my wife, and be DQ'd ...

It's funny how watching someone get DQ'd makes you so cautious about making the same error, even if that error wouldn't even be a problem with how you normally do things. I know it's made me overly cautious and pensive, especially when the match is far away from home and there is more on the line.