Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mbf powder funnel vs Dillon funnel

Anybody use the Dillon funnel instead of mbf funnel supplied with kit. I just got a mini mr bullet feeder for my 2nd 650. Was thinking of just using Dillon funnel instead of redoing funnel and measure. Gonna try it first before I change it. Never thought about trying Dillon funnel first when I got my mbf. Just seeing if anybody uses it instead of mbf funnel. If do dies it work as good as the mbf.

Depends on the bullet, the MBF funnel was designed to provide more bell to accommodate as many bullets as possible to prevent shaving (cast bullets) and I think also to prevent them from toppling on indexing. But if u use a short FMJ (example 9mm precision delta JHP) then the Dillon funnel works fine. A 147 gr lead cast bullet....maybe MBF shows its value there.

If you use it together with a bullet feeder than the MFB funnel works much better no more tipping bullets on index .

And provides less bell( deeper but less wide ) than the dillon one , only downside it sticks a little to the case on the down strike .

BeerBaron is correct. I load Bayou coated 147grain 9mm and was having a heck of a time with the coating being shaved using the Dillon funnel. I played with it, adjusting all over the place to try and find the sweet spot. I never could and would end up shaving the coating on at least 30 out of 100 loaded rounds. Installed the MBF funnel, adjusted it twice and it's just about perfect. My last 2 loading sessions of 800 rounds each (on a 550) I was getting about 3 out of 100 loaded rounds shaved. Even those 3 rounds, it was VERY minor shaving. I've never loaded anything but coated bullets, so I don't have a frame of reference to jacketed with the standard funnel.

I see the problem now with the Dillon funnel. Bells more of a cone where the mbf bells a little at top of case then down neck a little both giving coke bottle effect. Dillon funnel Bullets would not stay straight. Mbf belled correctly the bullet sunk into case standings straight up and didn't move at all. So mbf is the way to go with the bullet feeder die.

• 1 month later...

The MBF is the best regardless. Both will bell the case mouth away from the bullet so that the sharp edge of the case mouth does not touch the bullet but the MBF creates a pocket in the case to keep the bullet from tipping where as the Dillon does not. Beyond this I don't think the expander is the problem with shaving coatings off of the bullet. I believe the fault lies with the seating dies being used. Once you bell a case mouth there is NO WAY the sharp edge of the case can touch the bullet unless the seating die is turning the brass back in as the case enters the seating die. There is just no way. If you bell a case mouth regardless of which expander you are using and it skins the coating off when you seat a bullet it is not the expanders fault, it did its job so there is something else that is causing this. I see people struggling with the issue on here all the time and they ALL think it's the expander, it's not. Open up your seating die so that there is no contact between the case mouth and the die, that is the problem. Some seating dies have too small of an opening or are tapered toward the top or are not adjusted correctly to move the built in taper crimp up and away from the belled case and they start to crimp the case back into the bullet, this is the ONLY way a belled case mouth can touch the coating. If you have over belled the case mouth it will happen every time but if it's not over belled it should not touch the inside of the seating die at any time and here lies the problem with most of these complaints.

Edited by bowenbuilt