Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on SSP rules and frame modifications and trigger jobs

kro77

Hi Everyone,

I am new to IDPA and trying to see what are reasonable rule interpretations. Reading the rules it seems coating factory barrels and factory triggers parts could be ok for SSP, and is really ok for ESP?

The other question i have is one of my pistols is great but has a terrible bump in the trigger gaurd, can i grind this down and still be SSP OK?

Thanks,

K

Coating should be ok in SSP since 8.2.1.3.13 allows custom finishes but some may interpret that as a visible modification under 8.2.1.3.7 if the trigger shoe is refinished.

Reshaping the trigger guard would be a SSP no-no

Thanks so much I will post a pic of what I have and get input the coating.

Would the trigger guard change be ok in CCP?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks attached is an example of the trigger work being done on my p30.

I am trying to see if this meets changing the external appearance or counts as a coating.

Again esp and ccp I think is ok but I am interested in ssp as I have another pistol I am looking to get done.

K

post-57121-0-83960100-1465872361_thumb.j

post-57121-0-04864000-1465872372_thumb.j

post-57121-0-17523300-1465872382_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback on the previous issues. Would people think the hammer refinish and pin would be allowed under SSP and just a refinish, or would it be considered a visible modification that is a no go.

I would love to get this done to my P30L as well as the trigger is a dream but I do not want to alter the gun so i cannot compete with it.

There is a difference between cosmetic and modification. Do you think the person at the match would feel it's a modification? 'Cause when things are close that's the first person you'll be pleading your case to.... So ask yourself that question first.

I would think it is a finish changes versus a visible change to extend life and lubricity. However it feels like this is a battle of what people feel versus fact.

Feeling versus fact, welcome to trying to max out what you want from a SSP gun.

And there in lies the rub, it's not purely cosmetic, it has a "performance" function. You're not covering up a scratch or making something your favorite color. But the rule says, 8.2..1.3.13 Custom finishes may be applied. To me, that makes it all legal.

But 8.2.1.4.2 in the Excluded says the following. So yeah, what are you to do? Is a slick coating that changes the color a visible modification? Some could argue yes.

Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de
-
cocking
levers, and hammers. EDIT- copy and paste made this bold, not yelling.
Edited by rowdyb

You summarized my confusion, I would guess to be "safe" I can just have the internal parts coated and be done with it.

I am new to IDPA so still trying to figure out how much things can be pushed.

You summarized my confusion, I would guess to be "safe" I can just have the internal parts coated and be done with it.

I am new to IDPA so still trying to figure out how much things can be pushed.

Just a thought, instead of trying to push the envelope with gun mods focus that energy on your performance.

I agree the gear does not make a better shooter and I have been working at that over the last couple months.

However I do like to tweak, and want to make sure I do not go too far and have something that won't fly on competition.