Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measures more accurate for rifle loads than pistol?

FlashAndPoof

I get about 0.3-0.4 grain variance using CFE Pistol for my 9mm loads with the Dillon powder measure. If I used a Dillon powder measure to reload .223 with CFE Pistol, should I also expect to see a 0.3-0.4 grain variance? If so, wouldn't' that make it more consistent than the pistol load since the variance is a much smaller percentage of total grain amount?

.3 to .4 in a pistol charge would be way more than I'd be willing to accept. My hornandy drop is for the most part spot on after the powder is settled in the hopper. The Dillon measure must just not like CFE. And yea i would say your correct in saying that it's closer with rifle loads of you maintain the same plus or minus variation as it would be a smaller percentage of the powder drop. Do you empty your powder drop when you are done for the day. Mine can take 20 to 30 drops to settle in. I like to leave mine full.

I get about 0.3-0.4 grain variance using CFE Pistol for my 9mm loads with the Dillon powder measure

​The problem might be how you measure 3.0 grains of powder -how accurate is your scale? fresh batteries? breez

That's a Very Small Weight to measure accurately.

​My guess is that if you actually had .4 grain deviations, your chrono would show large differences in velocity, and your accuracy would

​suffer.

​If not, it's probably your scale or weighing technique.

I would look to your adjustments if you are getting that large of variation. A variation of +/- .1 grain with that powder is the norm. Be sure cases are flared at least .010"-.020" larger than a sized, unflared case measures. This ensures that the powder bar makes full travel. Next, push forward on the handle as if seating a primer. The coil spring above the blue wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe return rod should be compressed to a point where a business card barely slips between the coils. Finally, start with the powder hopper at least 2/3 full, throw and dump back at least ten powder charges before you begin weighing. This settles the powder under the baffle.

I recently went through about 16 lbs of CFE 223 powder. Charges would never vary more than +/- .1 grain. This has become my personal favorite powder for 223.

I am well into an 8# container of CFE Pistol and haven't even noticed +/- 0.1 grain difference. Throws have been as or more consistent than the VV N340 I was previously using.

No polishing or alterations, etc. to the stock Dillon Powder measure other than an updated baffle (available on eBay from Prairie Dog) and micrometer powder bar adjuster from Uniquetek.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk