Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedramp defect?

YVK

Recently my relatively new Stock II started to develop feeding issues, after about the first thousand rounds. Live round stove pipe, something that looked like a three point stoppage, and failure to fully chamber a round. Upon a review today, I found a small defect at the right edge of a feed ramp. Apologize for a lousy pic but It is seen well enough, little notch just before feed ramp meets the chamber. Is it a norm or a defect?

20160524_191703_zpsj86ncz8i.jpg

Edited by YVK

The newer S2 I bought has this thing on one side of the feed ramp. The older S2 I have does not.

I did have a feed issue with the newer S2 just last range trip. Had to drop mag free to fix it. I don't think this little imperfection was causing the feeding issue though, because I don't see how it can.

Polish the extractor, check it for burrs, fit it correctly if it isn't holding tight (posted here - better than I could explain), polish the breech face so the brass slides up easier and possibly install extra power spring for extractor.

That is the drill I would follow. Would check the mag lip spacing too

More or less, that's about what I think too, with minor variations. Some of that been done already. My 1911 gunsmith, who knows a thing or two, thought that the spring rates may need to be changed so I am playing with that for now.

• 2 weeks later...

My mags were clean and I was shooting on an indoors range. I think that it is either an insufficient mag spring tension or too light a recoil spring, or combination thereof. I had feeding issues with 8 and 10 lbs recoil springs and none with 12 lbs but the round count after the change is not high enough to be definitive about it.

I admit to being perplexed as to how people put Wolff springs in their Stock II mags. The bottom spring coil doesn't seem to fit to the mag retainer plate.