Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Trigger Behavior

libertarian

I have a springfield 1911 .45. I shoots well. But recently it has developed a nasty characteristic that I can't quite figure out.

Normally the trigger weight is about 4 pounds. But sometimes I shoot, and go to shoot again...sqeeze.....harder.....harder....and then the gun fires. It seems like the 4 pound trigger just turned into a 25lb trigger. Once I manage to get that shot fired, it might do it once more, but then it'll be back to normal for a long time.

Any ideas?

sounds to me like your overtravel screw has moved in and is preventing the trigger from being pulled far enough rearward to allow the hammer to fall. try backing out the overtravel screw in the front of your trigger at least one full turn and see if that remedies your problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest this only because it happened to me once, it may very well not be your problem... In the middle of a string of fire, my brand new SA 1911 wouldn't fire, and it seemed as though the trigger could not be pulled. I squeezed harder and harder on the trigger untill I was squeezing hard enough to fully disengage the beavertail safety (which I thought already was), then the hammer fell. Initially it felt like the gun developed some strange super heavy trigger pull, but it was just the idiot shooting the gun.