Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mitchell right side mag release

Any opinions on the right side mag release. Thinking of getting it on my SV build. Just wanted to tear from guys who had it. I hear the advantage is your thumb never comes off the thumb safety when reloading. Tried my buddy's but don't see any other advantage of it. Any opinions.

If you have small hands/short thumbs they work well. You can hit the release without breaking grip and flipping

the gun. If your hands are big enough to hit the standard mag release, there is no advantage to the right side

release.

What open 17 said.. I have them on 2 1911's and 2 2011's the Mitchell is the way to go....small hands and fingers may do well... it does for me ..

bigger hands will release the mag when not needed. The Mitchell is the most robust and works in all my pieces and STI and SV mags new and old. Had to bevel a little on the tab for the Trojan though...

What open 17 said.. I have them on 2 1911's and 2 2011's the Mitchell is the way to go....small hands and fingers may do well... it does for me ..

bigger hands will release the mag when not needed. The Mitchell is the most robust and works in all my pieces and STI and SV mags new and old. Had to bevel a little on the tab for the Trojan though...

I use one in a PT grip. I had to do some fitting and get a longer screw. The PT grip isn't flat on the left side where the screw sits but it still works.

Fitting meaning filing on grip or on release. So as it sits stock it will not fit.

Dirt,

If you order a SVI the mag release button is interchangeable from left to right(as long as you don't order the IDPA legal mag release). All you would need to do as get another checkered button to add. One other item is for the SVI right side mag release needs to use New Style SVI mags or modify STI mags so they have a mag catch window on both sides.