Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 38 Super Comp Woes

The facts:

New 1050 press.

New Starline .38 Super Comp brass.

1 in 10 brass upside down.

1 bent beyond straightening decap pin.

several crushed from the top cases.

1 in 10 cases will not go into shell plate even if they are right side up.

So is the Starline brass not the best choice or perhaps is the .223 shell plate not what it should be? Needless to say at this rate I am lucky to be turning out a couple of hundred rounds an hour.

any ideas? I need ammo for the new blaster!!!!

I have the same problem with new 38 Supercomp brass from Starline. 1 in 20 will not go into the 223 shellplate on my 650. Anyone else have this problem? It appears as if the rim is to thick.

I had this same problem with 9 supercomp and the 223 shellplate. Make sure that you have the nylon adapter installed in the case feeder. It sits in the funnel at the output of the feeder. Check to be sure you have the proper adapter installed at the base of the case tube. I received my machine with a 380 adapter. The other trick is to tighten the shellplate a little. This will lower the plate so the case can find the slot in the plate better. When I'm loading I look at station 1 before I put the bullet on the case and pull the handle. This saves my decapper pins. I can load 1200 rounds an hour now but I still have this problem every now and then.

Kevin

Thanks for the feedback! I suspected the brass rim may be too think as did joer when some pieces would not fit. Other pieces fit just fine so I did not indict the shell plate out of hand. Could the shell plate be too tight thus not leaving enough wiggle room for the cases? What should the rim thickness be for a .38 supercomp?

I'll try to remember to look at station 1 too. When I looked there it worked fine of course. It was when I was checking to make sure I did not have a double charge and pulled the handle I had trouble.

Must remember to "see what you need to see...."!

I've got an old 1050 and haven't bought 38 super comp brass in a while, but I don't have any of the problems your having. I just tighten the shell plate so it indexes smoothly. The 223 shell plate is old as well. I bought the whole package from an indoor range that was closing. I do have two 223 shell plates but have only tried one of them. Do make sure the nylon adapter is in place on the case feeder. I do get some newer super comp brass 'cause I shoot with a bunch of people who either don't pick-up their brass or they loose lots, Shred is usually good about finding his brass but Chet usually looses a bunch :)

If the ratchet mechanism is still enabled I would think that a double charge would be pretty much impossible. The other alternative is the powder check die.

I would think that if the shellplate was too tight you would feel it drag. I believe that it's too loose and also causing problems because the speed of the shellplate is too fast. Try raising the handle slowly and see if things get better.

I can't help you with the rim thickness.

You might also want to be sure that te part that pushes the case into the shell plate is clean and lubed. A piece of media in there reeks havoc.

Good luck,

Kevin

The others pretty well covered it. A few other thing's. What # are your locator pin's/buttons ? They should be # 3. Make sure casefeed plate is small pistol. If it is try running feeder on low speed. Also you said you were crushing cases, if it's happening at powder station pull the powder activator funnel and make sure it goes easily into the super case, mine did not and bent case tops on occasion. I turned it down a bit on my lathe, no more bent case tops. I use Starline all the time and have never had problems. I just purchased a new batch and they are fine. So far I would guess I have had 8 different lots over the years. If all else fails call Dillon.

I have checked the buttons and the shellplate, plus the adjustment. I pretty much determined that it is the rim thickness. I just got a bunch of brass from someone else, 38 supercomp, and I did not have any problem. I can take the brass and it will not fit into the shelllplate with the shellplate off of the machine, where most of the brass fits just fine. WHen I use a 38 super shellplate, they all fit; however Dillon says that the brass moves around a little too much when you use the 38 super shellplate.

I just measured the following rim's. 223 mixed once fired brass. .042,.042,.043,.043,.042,.042. Remington +P nickel new 38 super (not super comp) .046,.045,.045,.046,.045,.045. New Starline super comp .045,.044,.044,.044,.044,.045.

New Starline Super Comp measures from 0.44 -.048. The .047 and .048 do not fit the .223 shellplate. New Armscor measures .041 - .043. Loads like a charm!

Thanks Action Pistolero for the case feed adaptor trick. I do not understand the magic but had no problems after installing it.

Glad you got it figured out. I would be contacting Starline, they are great folks and will make it good. Looks like the QC personel either went to sleep and the machine got out of spec or they had a bad case of the Coors flu when they made that run.