Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bump To Open?

Tman33_99

At our local match, on the first stage I had a RO come to me with a problem. The shooter he was running, was shooting L-10, and had just fired 11 rounds during a stage, did a reload w/o slide lock and w/o racking the slide and continued on. Upon checking his mags, they were all loaded to Max, and the RO wanted to know what to do.

I said at a major match it would be a bump to Open since he is not fulfiling the requirements of the division. Since this was a newer shooter, I told the RO to give the shooter the option of moving to limited and he can keep using his mags loaded above 10 rounds or load only 10 per mag from now on and re-shoot.

Bump to the division that matches the equipment he *is* shooting. So, Limited. The point is not to punish him, but to make sure he's playing w/ equipment fairly. If he's shooting L-10, the only difference between it and limited is capacity.

Bump to the division that matches the equipment he *is* shooting. So, Limited. The point is not to punish him, but to make sure he's playing w/ equipment fairly. If he's shooting L-10, the only difference between it and limited is capacity.

USPSA Green Book

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or

other requirements of a declared Division during a course

of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if

available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for

no score.

My call did not match the rule book, but I made that call for two reasons. One it was a newer shooter who may not have been aware of his error. Two it was a local match and the 1st stage of the match.

I supported giving him a re-shoot, though I know he did that deliberately and tried to finagle some nonsense about counting his rounds blah blah blah whatever.

You shoulda seen what he did when Jr. and I ran his re-shoot. He's all "I'm not sure if this mag works, but I'm gonna use it anyway." Then when it jams, he clears and holsters without commands, and proceeds to get ready again with working mags. I'm all for cutting slack at local matches, but there's slack and then there's abuse.

I supported giving him a re-shoot, though I know he did that deliberately and tried to finagle some nonsense about counting his rounds blah blah blah whatever.

You shoulda seen what he did when Jr. and I ran his re-shoot.  He's all "I'm not sure if this mag works, but I'm gonna use it anyway." Then when it jams, he clears and holsters without commands, and proceeds to get ready again with working mags.  I'm all for cutting slack at local matches, but there's slack and then there's abuse.

Noah,

I trust yours and Seniors input. I have heard more about this incident from others, and this will be the last "freebie" for that shooter.

There comes a point when newer shooters are no longer newer shooters.

Had it been me, what I would have done was politely shown him section 5.7.1 or 5.7.3 or 5.7.5 in the rulebook where it talks about competitor equipment malfunctions, then start scoring targets as shot. You simply cannot stop in the middle of a COF and say your going to reshoot because your mags aren't working.

Why even have a rulebook if it's going to be thrown aside when it's really needed? In THIS particular situation, it is in black and white what procedures should have taken. Bump him into "Open" and score the stage "As Shot"