Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trimming 38 LC brass to 38 "mid"

AlphaChaser

I have about 500 new Starline 38 LC cases arriving from Starline this week. I'd like to experiment with trimming those cases to .900" and .850" for ICORE.

I have searched for quite a while on how to trim pistol brass but most systems use "pre-milled to caliber" pilots. I want to set it for any reasonable variable distance. I know many if not most of you load 38 SC, but I'd like to start conservatively with LC, then shorter.

Short question: What case trimming method/system/equipment have you used to trim 38 LC brass to shorter lengths, specially .900"?

Thanks,

AlphaChaser

Edited by AlphaChaser

you'll probably have better luck posting this in the revolver section, but i've seen people use a trim jig in a drill press.

Though, personally - I do not see any reason to trim down long colt brass to .900 , I doubt you'd see any increased performance in reloading.

Make life easy, if long colts are too long, buy the 38 short colts.

I went down that road trimming 38 specials to .900 length - I tried a mini chop saw, and I also tried a lee case trimmer. Both methods were tedious to me. I chased that rainbow for several months and I did gain some experience that I can sum up in one sentence:

If you want brass shorter than long colts, buy the short colts from starline and be done with it.

( I know that is pretty much what Alecmc said, too)

It would be nice if Starline offered .38 mid colts...but until they do I'll stick with the short colts from starline.

I trim down 38 sp and 357mags. I use an old RCBS rotary trimmer. I put a pilot in the handle hole and use a cordless drill. Will do a 357 case to .900 in about 10 sec. I shoot all mid length now. Tried short colts. Pain in the butt readjusting, etc, so I went back to the mids. Good luck and have fun!

I think that's the very best advice I could have gotten! I was trying to over think it, I'm sure. Will do. Do you happen to know off hand if the proper TK clips for my Starline 38 LC are the same as for the Starline SC brass? (I've already bought the TK 38 LC clips).

Hi,

I'm a Bullseye Shooter and shoots .38 SPL (in an auto) for the CF stage. You all appeared to be Cowboy Action Shooters. However, your need seems to be same as mine. Trimming straight wall cases.

I now have a large quantity (approx 3k) of once fired .38 SPL cases that I need to trim back 10-20 thou so it will 100% fit/feed in my SW Mod 52's magazine. That pistol shoots WC ammo loaded flush to the case mouth. This big batch of Winchester brass that I have is at or over max after firing and reloading. I was experiencing failure to feed when loaded with the near max length rounds. The 52 is a very finicky pistol.

I currently have a Dillon RT1200 that I have used to process similarly large quantity of .223, 308, and 30/06 brass and appreciated the ease of effort compared with other tools available.

Up until now I had no need to trim pistol calibers...save a few long range .44 mag rounds. I used my Forster tool for that. I have a power drill adapter for my Forster tool...think that will be butt ass slow for 3k pieces of brass.

Given the large quantity of brass I need to process, I like to use my progressive press and the RT1200 trimmer. I now noticed my gear, like me, has aged. Dillion no longer supports the RT1200 trimmer nor carries pistol caliber trim dies for their RT series of trimmers.

Anyone out there know of a trim die in .38 SPL for the RT1200 trimmer. Contacted Dillon and they suggested CH4D.

Anyone with experiences with the CH4D products, good or bad?

How about the Lee Power Quick Trimmer as an option? Price for the die and the Lee set up will be about the same.

I suspect this will be a basically one time use. Once trimmed, I will no longer need to trim again. 3k of .38 will last me many matches and practice sessions.

Any other suggestions and experiences will be appreciated.

Just so you don't hate me as a BE shooter cutting in, I have a S&W Model 3 (.45 SW) and a Cimarron SAA (.45 LC). I use Starline's .45 SW in both guns...like the soldiers posted here in the Washington Territory days.

Thanks

Bob