Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a 2011

bret

I would say it's fairly difficult to build anything reliable and accurate. There are lots of internal parts that require precise fitting and specialized tools to do the fitting. I would go out on a limb and say when you have a custom gun built you are paying as much or more for the labor as you are for the actual parts in the gun.

It is definitely not plug and play like with most plastic gun internals where everything is interchangeable from gun to gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

There are some very good videos on YouTube on how to do it. Like the poster said above, it would be very time consuming. Additionally, there are a number of specialized tools that you'd likely want to do it right.

I'd like to try too, but I'm concerned that while I'm confident I'd end up with something that would work it might look like I built it in my garage.

You really need a mill to do the job right, you will also need a lathe to turn the barrel depending on brand if you are going with a bull barrel. It can take anywhere from 30 to 60 hours of labor to build one from a box of parts. Even after using the machines you will still need to fit some parts by hand using files,stones and sandpaper. Actually the frame kit is maybe 30% of the actual gun, you still need: slide, barrel, ignition components, springs, sights, firing pin stop, slide stop, grip and thumb safeties. So you will be spending about $1000 more for the rest of the parts needed for a build. Last one I did cost $1600 in just parts alone.

I built a fully functional, reliable and very accurate 2011 from an 80% frame. It's now one of my go-to match pistols. I have some mechanical skills so I didn't necessarily think it was hard, but parts of the build were very tedious and time consuming. I can certainly understand why gunsmiths charge what they do to build a custom gun. Btw, I used only hand tools to build my gun.

I'll also add that unless you plan on doing multiple builds, the tools alone (lug cutting tool, finish reamer, go-no gauges etc.) will make one build seem like it almost isn't worth it from a cost standpoint. I did it mainly because it's really difficult to get a 2011 in CA and because I wanted the experience.