Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scheumann HybriComp barrel + Akai Gill comp?

Rudukai13

I was just thinking and was curious if this combination would work? I know that most people running the Akai comp use numerous popple holes to get the necessary downward force in addition to the forward pull that's provided by the comp, but would a Scheumann barrel with the larger hybrid ports do a better, or just as good, a job at providing the downward force? Just curious.

I was just thinking and was curious if this combination would work? I know that most people running the Akai comp use numerous popple holes to get the necessary downward force in addition to the forward pull that's provided by the comp, but would a Scheumann barrel with the larger hybrid ports do a better, or just as good, a job at providing the downward force? Just curious.

That is not an easy answer. I have had every combo, but not the gill comp. I have shot 38SC AKAI (in one match) and watched a new 9 Major configured the same. Both configurations are very flat. I don't think you will get the same effect. I believe the Scheumann larger ports would bleed to much gas.

Even though the popple holes on most of the setups with the Akai comp are smaller, there's generally so many of them that it would bleed off about the same amount of gas as fewer holes of a larger size?

You would think, but the smaller holes are placed differently and bleed the gas in lessor proportions. I have a four hole IMM and 3 hole IMM

I have both, the original Hybrid barrel gun that was the test platform for the new comp design(same design as Shane's gun he shot at worlds), and the new shorter V8. The hybrid shoots very predictable and recoils into your hand about the same as a limited gun, the dot tracks reliably up at 1 o'clock and comes back to center very predictably. The V8 looks violent, but hits the hand very soft, and the dot never leaves the center of the glass, depending on your grip, if you do what you're supposed to do, it will come back right where it was when you broke the first shot.

Open is all about how the gun feels TO YOU. I wouldn't shoot anything but the V8 for USPSA/IPSC, but i like the hybrid for steel, because i can use the predictability to help move the gun and dot to the next target. Load development for both is key for how it feels as well. If you're anywhere near VA let me know, ill bring both to the range and you can try them out side by side with the two loads i use.

Mk18, thank you for the descriptive information! As much as I'd love to be able to take you up on your offer, unfortunately I'm out in Colorado and don't foresee myself being near VA any time in the near future. Do you have pictures/video of both pistols?