Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cone Comp 38super

Steelix

I was cleaning my gun today and i found a small crack in the cone comp maybe about a 1/8 inch long on the thin part of the cone. How safe is it to shoot as I have a couple of match's I like to shoot before I can find someone to change out the comp. About how much money does it cost to put a new comp on and anyone have good smith to send it to that's no to backed up on work. As I only have just the one gun. I was thinking of getting the Brazos TC2 Thundercomp.

Can't you weld it and then grind and polish it? I would try that as then there would be no fitting required. Nothing to lose. I would hate having to send it off and have a long wait time.

Edited by echotango

It's not ideal but generally the failure mode will be the comp goes flying down range during a firing cycle. A small crack in the cone towards the breech end of the cone shouldn't cause imminent failure. The threaded portion of the barrel is generally quite short. That's what's important for holding it on.

Choice is up to you... :)

I took it to a local smith and he said no to taking it off and drilling a hole, he said it needs to be replaced as the crack is up farther than i saw. There is a very small hair in crack up half in cone. He did say it should be safe to shoot as it not in threads. But then he did ask as the gun was built in 1992 if it was threaded on or pressed on. I thought they where all threaded on. Anyone heard of cone comps pressed on.