Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working on Keeping My Eyes Open

Smitty79

I'm close to making B and I think I need to be able to truly call shots to continue to improve. In my last practice session, I found that I do close my eyes as the shot breaks. Today's practice goal was trying to keep my eyes open. I went plugged and muffs and started out practicing shooting on the move. I found that if I shoot on the move or shoot fast(Just trying to hit brown) I keep my eyes open.

For me, speed mode is 2.0 Bill and 2.1 Blake. When doing that, I can follow the sights through the whole cycle. If I slow down, I can't do it anymore. I still blink.

Is it just a case of shooting more in modes that I can keep my eyes open? Will I eventually work through it?

What kind of pistol and load do you use?

I've cured my blinking a couple of times by shooting something very mild.

I had a break from shooting some time ago, and then the first thing I shot was full house 357 Magnum. Bad idea. It took me a few sessions with lower power to cure the blink I got from the flash/bang/blast.

The load doesn't sound too shattering. My guess:

When you are shooting without time to hesitate, you're OK. When you slow down, you have time to think:"Oh dear, it is going BOOM". So, doing more of the "no hesitation" stuff like el prez and bill drills should convince you that the BOOM is OK.

Edited by perttime