Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why the "pimple on my Bullets"?

Now I'm curious to see a picture of your bullet nipples. That sounds like an excessive fix if it was just a small cosmetic issue.

Ok, how do I attach my nipple pictures to a reply?
I can't do it from a phone. Don't know how. But it's easy on a pc. Select other reply options and it lets you attach a file to a post. I take a pic, email it to myself, download it, then select it and it appears in the reply

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get some clarity on this "homemade" custom seating die for a given bullet.

So you put hot glue, jb weld or whatever into the seating die, then the bullet into that so it shapes it's self to the bullet shape. I understand all that.

How do you get that plug and know that it is centered and holding that bullet as squared as possible, so when you push the case into the seating die the force of the case is even around the bullet so as the bullet is seating/sliding into the case it is not being shoved to one side or the other affecting the neck tension and accuracy.

Do you form this plug with a complete cartridge in the shell plate and up into the seating die and let the plug harden around it?

Using hot glue to do that you would need help from the "Flash" :roflol:

Just trying to get my peanut brain wrapped around this. I've seen occasional marks on my bullets and my brass is not new looking, but it's more accurate than me.

I like the idea of Lee making a custom plug though.

To get some clarity on this "homemade" custom seating die for a given bullet.

So you put hot glue, jb weld or whatever into the seating die, then the bullet into that so it shapes it's self to the bullet shape. I understand all that.

How do you get that plug and know that it is centered and holding that bullet as squared as possible, so when you push the case into the seating die the force of the case is even around the bullet so as the bullet is seating/sliding into the case it is not being shoved to one side or the other affecting the neck tension and accuracy.

Do you form this plug with a complete cartridge in the shell plate and up into the seating die and let the plug harden around it?

Using hot glue to do that you would need help from the "Flash" :roflol:

Just trying to get my peanut brain wrapped around this. I've seen occasional marks on my bullets and my brass is not new looking, but it's more accurate than me.

I like the idea of Lee making a custom plug though.

First, I will not use the hot glue method ongoing being that it does not cure without some flex. This "flex" is why I used the head of the brad for supprt. In fact I've already cleaned that all out of my seating stem - that was just an experiment for me to see if there was a work around for the stem I have that was causing the dimple.

Dillon recommended using JB Weld, consequently that will be my next experiment.

I used a bullet seated in a case, no powder or primer, with the bullet greased as an release agent. And I put the stem back in the sleeve that is removeable from the die which kept the round seated straight in the stem (I have Dillon dies). So not sure what dies you have.

You have to be sure you utilize and adequate release agent or one could end up JB Welding a round into the seating die..? I'm just playing around. If Dillon would make me a seating stem I'd sure go that way... If I screw this up I will buy a die from another manufacturer without a lubricant drain hole in it...

I hope this helped but proceed at your own risk brother...

Cheers!

Now I'm curious to see a picture of your bullet nipples. That sounds like an excessive fix if it was just a small cosmetic issue.

Ok, how do I attach my nipple pictures to a reply?
I can't do it from a phone. Don't know how. But it's easy on a pc. Select other reply options and it lets you attach a file to a post. I take a pic, email it to myself, download it, then select it and it appears in the reply

It won't attach as it's too large a file. I'll have to adjust settings and take another picture - thx for the help!

I follow ya got glocked.

I use Dillon dies, the insert in the seating die is flipped to use the flat profile, I do understand all thoughts on making more accurate ammo, but for myself, it produces accurate ammo with the Dillon dies.

I currently reload a 124gr CMJ Plated FP, I like the plated bullets because it encapsulates the lead, we shoot indoors at our club, has ok exhaust and we are usually alone.

I'm sure I speak for many, would like to see a pic of the marks on your bullets. We know your trying, don't ask me I've never posted a pic.

I follow ya got glocked.

I use Dillon dies, the insert in the seating die is flipped to use the flat profile, I do understand all thoughts on making more accurate ammo, but for myself, it produces accurate ammo with the Dillon dies.

I currently reload a 124gr CMJ Plated FP, I like the plated bullets because it encapsulates the lead, we shoot indoors at our club, has ok exhaust and we are usually alone.

I'm sure I speak for many, would like to see a pic of the marks on your bullets. We know your trying, don't ask me I've never posted a pic.

Agreed, no issues here that effect accuracy, it was cosmetic... Have a great weekend!

• 1 month later...

Use super glue instead of hot glue. It's harder but less permanent than JB Weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx Matt1, I tried the superglue without such good results so I used the JB Weld but got another insert for my seating die for other projectiles. It's all good - cheers!