Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi from Austin!

mreed911

Hello from Austin! I'm not new to shooting but I'm new to USPSA, having joined late last year and really starting to shoot competitively in the beginning of this year.

I'm currently classified in Single Stack as a C shooter (technically I'm a D until the next cards go out, but six of my last 8 are 40%+), with my average being around 45%.

This is my primer for getting active again and giving me an activity goal for losing weight. Things I've noticed so far:

1) I'm slow, but I'm in no rush to get fast before I get more accurate or more natural.

2) I'm just starting into dry firing drills.

3) I'm probably changing to Production, primarily because it's easier to practice dry firing vs. my 1911 and the skills I need to work on are the same between the divisions, in other words, not "gun specific." I'm up in the air on this, though, because I shoot major in SS and Prod will be scored Minor, so I need AA vs AC much more. Feedback welcome here!

4) I'm registered for several "majors" coming up and I'm going to figure out some specific goals (e.g. finish in the top 25% in my class/division in a major, top 10%, be the best C class shooter in my division at a major, be the best C class shooter at a major, etc.). I'd love good feedback here.

4) My next "major" goal is B class. I feel like consistency and "naturalness" will bring speed. I'd love pointers here and it's why I'm joining here.

5) I'm shooting 2-3 local matches/month.

6) I'm a "decent" shot but certainly not the best. I need to get much more comfortable with my POA at different distances so I make sure I can "call my shots."

I'm looking forward to a lot of reading over the next few weeks. Pointers to "best" stickies are always welcome!

-- Mike

Edited by mreed911

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Great to have goals, but I find it has been unrealistic for me

to determine where I'll rank in a group of shooters - depends

on how many mistakes I make at the match, and which

specific shooters are in attendance that day.

My goal is to :

1. make a good plan, and execute that plan, for each COF

2. try to make as few mistakes as possible

3. try to break each shot as soon as possible

4. try to read where the bullet will land.

5. don't DQ - be safe - and have fun.

Good luck with your goals - hope you safely enjoy the sport. :cheers: