Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Accurate #7 and Lee Auto Drum

I have just confirmed both through empirical experience and internet confirmation that Accurate #7 is a leaky powder, which is a bit of a shame as was one of the few powders locally available when I got setup with 8lbs of it. I recently upgraded to the Lee Auto-Drum on my Lee Turret press and a definite improvement over the auto-disk. However, the powder still leaks out between the plastic drum and metal enclosure. Not nearly as much as the disk but still very noticeable after a good reloading session. I tried googling and searching here but couldn't find anything helpful, would anyone have suggestions for mitigating this?

And, DON'T rinse the water/Dawn off--just air dry.

Also, run some powdered graphite or a hopper of graphitized gun powder through the measure (something you should always do with every measure) one case at a time.

Is there a tension adjustment on the measure like the PPM? If so, clean out the measure and re-adjust the tension. Do not adjust tension until measure has been disassembled and completely cleaned of any trapped powder.

Sorry, though, but AA7 is a very small kernel powder--almost dust--and it leaks in other measures like the Dillon.

PS: if the Lee Auto-Drum is like the PPM, it will break-in (but I wouldn't use a leaky powder measure on the press).

try this topic

it covers a lot of range

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221491

my memory is the the fix is to properly fit drum or replace drum

btw the search feature on this forum is pretty good.

miranda

Thanks I'll dig through that.

And, DON'T rinse the water/Dawn off--just air dry.

Also, run some powdered graphite or a hopper of graphitized gun powder through the measure (something you should always do with every measure) one case at a time.

Is there a tension adjustment on the measure like the PPM? If so, clean out the measure and re-adjust the tension. Do not adjust tension until measure has been disassembled and completely cleaned of any trapped powder.

Sorry, though, but AA7 is a very small kernel powder--almost dust--and it leaks in other measures like the Dillon.

PS: if the Lee Auto-Drum is like the PPM, it will break-in (but I wouldn't use a leaky powder measure on the press).

There is some tension adjustment I believe. I'll take it apart, clean it and then some graphite to break it in. Makes me a bit sad that I have so much AA7 left to use up before getting a different brand.

If you haven't tried it yet wash the inside of the drum and the plastic drum insert in dawn and hot water.Mine was leaking at first after a good bath it works flawless now.

Thanks I'll try it!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Auto Drum set up on my Classic Turret. It has been great. There was some minimal leakage at first but of course that was because I rushed and didn't clean it or brush some powdered graphite on the elastomer wiper and the rest of the inside.

Now it works like a charm. Very consistent and no problems so far. I have run H-110; W231; HS-6; Varget; W296; HS-700X; HS-800X. All ran we'll with no leakage.

I'm back to loading 3N38 with mine tomorrow. I hadn't used that powder for a while (had been using N105 and others) and when I poured some out was shocked at just how fine it is. it looks like dust or maybe iron filings!

If it doesn't leak with this powder that it should be fine with everything.